Using Facing Cuts to Make Holes in 3/16" Mild Steel

Without knowing the rest of the part geometry, it is hard to say what would be the best approach. I would consider using a faceplate with hold down clamps and a sacrificial backing plate. If the hole is predrilled with a pilot hole. the hole could be located using a center in the tailstock and clamped down. If a faceplate isn't available, a plywood plate could be mounted in a four jaw chuck and the work fastened to it.

For machining the hole, I have done trepanning using a 1/4" tool bit ground to fit the purpose. There needs to be sufficient relief to clear the diameter of the hole but 3/16" is a piece of cake. Far easier the machining out the entire material in the hole. (Bonus, you end up with a 3/16" thick washer blank which can come in handy on other projects.)
View attachment 310019
Great ideas! I had considered using my faceplate, which is plenty large enough to accommodate the raw pieces, and I have a tool I made for another project that's basically the geometry you describe, except made from a larger blank. Hmmm...looks like I'm going to spend more time trying out new ideas than actually making the parts! But that's a very good thing, if you ask me.

Thank you, sir!

I just saw this on YouTube , thought it might interest you. Unless you can understand Russian. Still easy to see what he is doing

Cheers
Martin

I just saw this on YouTube , thought it might interest you. Unless you can understand Russian. Still easy to see what he is doing

Cheers
Martin
Oh, wow! That worked really well, and it addressed my biggest concern--trapping the off-fall between the tool and the rest of the piece. I'll have to keep that technique cataloged in my brain hole for future use.

Thanks, Martin!

If you are concerned about the slug flying out of the chuck you can drill a 1/2 inch hole thru stock and capture it to the lathe with a piece of threaded rod thru the spindle with a nut on each end.

Back