Using Paper Cutter on Sheet Metal

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have an old fashioned Olsen paper cutter I retrieved from a dumpster about 35 years ago. It has a wood base and is quite sturdy. I have used it regularly to cut sheet metal up to about .020" thick. It will cut about 12" easily, and if a longer cut is needed, I just go at it from both sides of the sheet.

Since you can make partial cuts, it has the same versatility as hand shears, but without the curling. Anything thicker than .020" gets tough on the cutter.

A "Premier" 18" or 24" paper cutter, available at globalindustrial.com, would probably get the job done too.

Attachments

• IMG_9187.JPG
    IMG_9187.JPG
    814.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9194.JPG
    IMG_9194.JPG
    863.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9197.JPG
    IMG_9197.JPG
    762.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9199.JPG
    IMG_9199.JPG
    752 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9200.JPG
    IMG_9200.JPG
    773 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I have an old fashioned Olsen paper cutter I retrieved from a dumpster about 35 years ago. It has a wood base and is quite sturdy. I have used it regularly to cut sheet metal up to about .020" thick. It will cut about 12" easily, and if a longer cut is needed, I just go at it from both sides of the sheet.

Since you can make partial cuts, it has the same versatility as hand shears, but without the curling. Anything thicker than .020" gets tough on the cutter.

A "Premier" 18" or 24" paper cutter, available on Amazon, would probably get the job done too.
Old fashioned is exactly right. Most places I know of haven’t had that style of cutter for decades. Like at my wife’s work they use a rotary cutter. That’s a great use for that Olsen, they truly don’t make them like that anymore.

Back