Using smaller tools on a larger lathe?

burdickjp

Registered
Registered
I'm in the process of upgrading from a 7x16 lathe with a Tormach 0XA QCTP to an 11x29 lathe. It will not be coming with a QCTP.
I'm of the mind to purchase larger tools over time, but would like to make use of the machine sooner rather than later. I'm curious about my options, but didn't find any immediate information on using smaller tools on larger lathes.

I think I could make a spacer to use my current 0XA QCTP. I'd then be able to use all of my current 1/4" shank insert tooling.
I could then buy an AXA QCTP and shim all of my current 1/4" shank insert tooling to fit in the AXA tool holders.
I'd then buy more appropriately sized tooling and phase out my smaller tools over time.

What is the performance limitation of smaller tooling on larger lathes?

I dont see why it wouldn't work, although you probably wouldn't be abel to take as heavy a cut as the new lathe is capable of.

I think th
I'm in the process of upgrading from a 7x16 lathe with a Tormach 0XA QCTP to an 11x29 lathe. It will not be coming with a QCTP.
I'm of the mind to purchase larger tools over time, but would like to make use of the machine sooner rather than later. I'm curious about my options, but didn't find any immediate information on using smaller tools on larger lathes.

I think I could make a spacer to use my current 0XA QCTP. I'd then be able to use all of my current 1/4" shank insert tooling.
I could then buy an AXA QCTP and shim all of my current 1/4" shank insert tooling to fit in the AXA tool holders.
I'd then buy more appropriately sized tooling and phase out my smaller tools over time.

What is the performance limitation of smaller tooling on larger lathes?
I think the tool limits itself no matter how big the lathe is. So if you get a bigger lathe I am sure you can use the smaller tooling until you can get the appropriate tooling. If I am wrong anybody is welcome to put me in my place :adore:.

Sure you can use smaller tooling- then upgrade later

The only "correct" sized tool is the one that works, the only limiting factor when using small tools in a large lathe is that they may not be able to handle the loads that the larger machine can generate. If so just reduce the feed rates and/or DOC, this will slow down the work and negates the advantage of a larger more powerful machine.

If I am required to do small work on a machine larger then needed I will use small workholding methods and small tools if needed.
For example, holding a 10-32 tap in a 5C collet fixture in an 8" chuck on a 15 X 48 lathe in order to reduce the tap shank diameter.

One may always find a way to hold small work and tools in a larger machine, holding large work and tooling in a smaller machine often proves more difficult and sometimes not possible.
tapturning.jpg

Last edited:
I'd think it would depend on whether or not you are planning to keep the smaller lathe or sell it; if selling it, I'd say, sell the QCTP with it and buy the AXA.

I intend on selling the lathe. I don't expect I'd get my money's worth out of selling an 0XA QCTP with the lathe compared to continuing to use the tooling.

Machinist go to a lot of trouble to use heavier more ridgid holders.
Just going from axa to bxa gave me superior surface finish, more precision, deeper cuts, less chatter.
Get the heavier items as soon as possible.

I intend on selling the lathe. I don't expect I'd get my money's worth out of selling an 0XA QCTP with the lathe compared to continuing to use the tooling.
However, you will probably never use the 0XA or the ¼" tooling again, once you get the AXA.

However, you will probably never use the 0XA or the ¼" tooling again, once you get the AXA.
I'm thinking so. I just wish I could get the little amount of money I have in the 0XA QCTP and 1/4" tooling.

Back