Using smaller tools on a larger lathe?

IMHO, your more likely to sell the tooling and the lathe quicker and for the best $, if you bundle all together.

You're probably right. Rebuilding with AXA tooling is going to be more expensive, but probably worth it.

You want the bigger tool post. I’d sell some tooling with the small lathe just to get it sold. Most folks are entry level when buying smaller lathes. Do you have a mill? You can machine larger tools to fit your dovetails on the tool posts. That way you can use surplus inserts on e bay to save some dollars. That’s what I use

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the new lathe has the 4 way tool post you can shim the smaller tools and use them. I have done that before.

The new lathe comes with a 4 way tool post. I'm not a fan of them, to be honest.

Maybe I'll use the opportunity to make another QCTP. I'd made one before for the 7x16 lathe, but eventually bought the 0XA because making tool holders for it was easier than making tool holders for the QCTP I'd designed.
Honestly, though, I'll probably end up buying the AXA. There's such a variety of tool holders available for it.

I have the Phase 2 AXA on my South Bend Heavy 10. It works great, though you do have too tighten up the screws with a little locktite on the tool holders, when you are first setting them up.

The new lathe comes with a 4 way tool post. I'm not a fan of them, to be honest.

Maybe I'll use the opportunity to make another QCTP. I'd made one before for the 7x16 lathe, but eventually bought the 0XA because making tool holders for it was easier than making tool holders for the QCTP I'd designed.
Honestly, though, I'll probably end up buying the AXA. There's such a variety of tool holders available for it.

Have you ever used a 4way? I have 3 lathes at work 2 have QCTP and one has a 4 way witch has a Right hand tool, left hand tool, and a threading tool. The 4 way is much faster and easer to use than the QCTP.

I bought a cheap 'two for the price of one' deal on some 1/4" brazed carbide and made some holders out of 16 mm square bar with a slot cut in it so they would fit my AXA toolpost and did the same with 5/8" x 3/4" for use in the shaper and they work fine for my use.

I'd get a Chinese knock off AXA and wouldn't look back. I purchased the Bostar AXA. I'd also keep my little lathe just like it is as a second lathe for back up and to work on small brass or plastic bushings. I am extremely happy that I still have my Atlas 618 with the OXA on it. I am constantly going to it for a small job...Especially when I don't feel like changing the tooling on my South Bend 9" lathe. I like small lathes as a backup or for small precision operations. The 4" chuck sits there ready for whatever.

Back