Using stainless steel nuts for rings? how to tell?

Some nuts Ive seen have the grade stamped into them.......the austenitic stainless steels are generally sold as suitable for marine use /salt water......the magnetic stainless steels are susceptable to rusting ,or at least rust staining.......

Stainless has a different look to it than the cheap zinc plated steel fasteners. Its not as bright looking, a bit greyish. After a while you can tell by looking.
The nut on the left *could* be SS.

Monel is great stuff . Throw it in the ocean for 10 years and pull it out , it looks like the day you threw it in . It is also a great conductor . 303 is cheap , easy to machine and not heat treatable as is any 300 series stainless . 400 series is HTable , as well as other exotics . 15-5 , 17-4 etc . Titanium is tougher than a $2 dollar steak , strong and light , can be machined slowly . Try and find a hunk of Berillium . Light , machines well , good looking . Don't breath the fumes as it is toxic and causes Berilliosis (sp) .

If it is magnetic , you can heat treat it .

I would stay away from Beryllium, it is very toxic.

I would stay away from Beryllium, it is very toxic.

Only if you breathe it in a mist type state .
I machined the Automatic Boresight Equipment prototypes for the DOD back in the 90s . Had to wear respirator and full containment suits on the CNC equipment . You can wear it , just don't breathe it ! :grin: The one part I machined was approx. 5" in diameter by 3" thick . It was $5000 for the chunk . I had one come out of the chuck at 6000 rpm and shatter the safety glass in the Makino , ruining the material . A full study of why that happened was done and someone got dismissed for it . ( they moved my lathe and did not lag it down ) .

Check out ABE at AAI Inc .

Thanks everyone. I ordered a 6" long 1" diameter slug of SS 303 for $11. Shipping was about as much, I should've ordered more!

You should've check here ! :grin: My scrap pile is endless .

You should've check here ! :grin: My scrap pile is endless .
Since you mention this I need some 4" 6061 round bar? PM me if this is possible!
THanks
Robert

Back