Using stainless steel nuts for rings? how to tell?

Oh yeah...I made my wedding ring out of titanium. It is not too difficult to machine. I really like how light it is. I can hardly notice when I take it off in bar and put in in my pocket ; )
Robert

That's a good point to consider. In my case though I decided to take care of the problem the legal way about 10yrs ago. It wasn't cheap but worth every penny I lost :D

So as I get ready to do this, the next question is the design. It's for a female so a flat band isn't going to be the most suitable. I'm thinking either a very thin 3mm wide ring with a convex shape (using a ball turner). I see there's something called 'comfort fit' design and looks like the inside of the ring is also made convex. Any thoughts on how to do this?

1565881640199.png

Another design I like that seems very straight forward is Bvlgari they come in different widths but even a small one like this seems pretty simple and straight forward to make, I can probably even engrave it with the CNC mill using a diamond tipped drag engraving bit.

1565881811462.png

If you have a CNC mill then the comfort fit profile is easy.
Nothing says round things MUST be done on a lathe.

If I were to try this ( I am pushig my skill limits ) I would grind a boring bar tool end to half the shape of the inner "comfort fit"
Then cut the back inside to size. Grind another bit to shape the front side of the inner "comfort fit". Cuttting the ring to size outside would be next followed by shaping the outer areas in reverse order to the inner cuts. No doubt the ring would need sanding and polishing. There! you have a beginners approach.
Have a good day
Ray

If I were to try this ( I am pushig my skill limits ) I would grind a boring bar tool end to half the shape of the inner "comfort fit"
Then cut the back inside to size. Grind another bit to shape the front side of the inner "comfort fit". Cuttting the ring to size outside would be next followed by shaping the outer areas in reverse order to the inner cuts. No doubt the ring would need sanding and polishing. There! you have a beginners approach.
Have a good day
Ray

That is ingenious, a form tool, of course! Why didn't I think of that...may be because I'm not skilled at grinding but this shouldn't be too bad since the width of the ring was only going to be 3mm or so I can shape it entirely using the same form tool both inside and outside!

If you have a CNC mill then the comfort fit profile is easy.
Nothing says round things MUST be done on a lathe.

Good point but how would you do the convex shape on a mill?

Last edited:
I had about an hr this afternoon so I gave free-hand forming the tool a quick try on aluminum stock. Looks like it'll work for the slight convex on the outside.

Now for doing the same thing to the brazed boring bars for the inside shape I don't have the right grinding wheels for carbide. Just the usual alum oxide ones. I'll take a look at my dremel set to see if I have anything usable there.

Thanks for the suggestion, this is the way to go for smaller work rather than messing around with the ball turner etc.

1566001855489.png

I hope the form tools will work in stainless. The cutting sequence might be wrong. Doing this on a mill puts me way out beyond my comfort zone but could it be done with a boring head and a small boring bar? I am not sure about this but grinding the entire "comfort shape" at the end of a low cost end mill then mount the nut in a rotary table and again take light cuts inside and out. Not knowing anything about CNC but from what I have gained here could it be possible to use a form tool and small incremental steps to make the circles. Hopefully Flyinfool and other experienced milling people will get involved here. Good luck on yur project Stioc!
Have a good day
Ray

Last edited:
If you wanted to use a CNC Mill, then you would just use a small ball end mill and mill the contours in 3D. No form tool needed.You will still need to work out workholding and have to flip it at some point in the operation but that is true for both CNC MIll or Manual Lathe. I like the idea of the formtool on the lathe.

If I were making the "comfort style", I would tse the lathe to cut the ring from ther end of a piece of round stock. Bore the i.d. first and turn the maximum od.. I would use gravers to do the contour work first the i.d. and then the od. Clean up both surfaces with increaswingly finer grits of wet or dry followed by polishing with diamond paste. The final operation would be parting the ring and sanding and polishing th last edge. I have made a mandrel for polishing my ring using a pice of pvc pipe and some duct tape. The ring is slid over the duct tape and has a tight enough fit towithstand the sanding and polishing forces.

Back