Using the Shars 7/8" insert end mill on a BP

I have a few Promax ZRN coated end mills for aluminum, they work very nicely. Most of my aluminum end mills are 3 flute, they run much smoother than 2 flute ones on my manual mills. I use 5 or 6 flute roughers in aluminum, primarily a 7/8" and it will quickly remove an amazing amount of material without fowling. As mentioned, the Minicut wave end mills are kind of a fine rougher with the finish of a standard endmill. The ones I use are usually the polished 3 flute with the wave cutting edge, nice performance at an affordable price. Just picked up four new 5/8" ones for $70.
Minicut  930P.JPG

I do find that the wave edge breaks up the chips and are less likely to load up then my standard 3Fl high helix end mills. The can take fairly high feed rates, but I am (maybe too) conservative when milling. The Minicut end mills are made from high cobalt powdered metal, and are designated as roughers but give a very decent finish. I had picked up some 3/4 and 7/8" Minicuts 930P end mills years ago, they get a lot of use for deep cuts and they have held up well. When I do not need to remove a lot of material I typically use 1/2" 3Fl high helix carbide from Promax and Hanita, they last a long time (unless I drop it :cry:).

Do carbide end mills basically not wear out on aluminum? I've probably cut a couple cubic feet on my alu power end mill and it still seems really sharp.

Do carbide end mills basically not wear out on aluminum? I've probably cut a couple cubic feet on my alu power end mill and it still seems really sharp.

Under ideal conditions they do seem to last a long time. Correct feeds & speeds, and flood coolant. We normally break them before we wear them out.

Minicut wave end mills are kind of a fine rougher with the finish of a standard endmill. The ones I use are usually the polished 3 flute with the wave cutting edge, nice performance at an affordable price. Just picked up four new 5/8" ones for $70.

Mark, where do you buy your Minicut end mills?

Typically I buy mine on eBay, just a matter of timing and keeping an eye out for specific ones, and/or those sold in lots. Just wait for the price I want to pay and often make an offer for less. On both the cobalt powdered metal and carbide I break a tip before I wear them out, and even those with a chipped tooth, I still use them for rough cutting and they work well enough. Only exception with wearing out an end mill in aluminum has been with really gummy alloys and it literally fuses into the flutes. I use air and no flood coolant, just local paint brush for lube.

Only exception with wearing out an end mill in aluminum has been with really gummy alloys and it literally fuses into the flutes. I use air and no flood coolant, just local paint brush for lube.
Ah yes, I have some not so fond memories of my early flood coolant system failing in the middle of a CNC part run while milling some 5052 bar stock. Was quite amazing to watch the fully gummed cutter literally plow through the stock without breaking.

Back