Using Two Mill Vises

Redid a couple of Kurt 6” of the same model. Match ground them to the same height. Ran with two for a while then added a third with step jaws. Trammed the outer two to each other so I can use them together The center vise is back clear of the the outer two. Love having all three on the table. I can set multiple coordinate systems using each as a fixture. 2980F061-3296-42EF-B99B-B654E3015AC1.jpeg
17050821-FAAA-4FF3-9DA5-9B3A249810CE.jpeg

Redid a couple of Kurt 6” of the same model. Match ground them to the same height. Ran with two for a while then added a third with step jaws. Trammed the outer two to each other so I can use them together The center vise is back clear of the the outer two. Love having all three on the table. I can set multiple coordinate systems using each as a fixture. View attachment 427983
View attachment 427988
Looks like you run a nice clean shop over there. :beer mugs:

You can order 'matched' vises from Kurt for additional charge. If you buy 2 random Kurt DX6 vises, you will find up to .002 height difference, We have done this test with 4 DX6 vises here in our city, bought at different times from different suppliers. SO....

What I do is to tram in my DX6 and my taiwanese 633 clone so that the fixed jaws all reading as close to zero as possible. Then I use only 1 set of parallels to line up the work. I snug both my vises and re-tap the work in the vise with the parallels. I can then do the final tightening without the work piece moving.

I hope this helps.
I lucked out on my Kurt 3600's. One is an ebay score, and the other from Kurts "Scratch & Dent" sale section. Mounted side by side on my Lagun, I can zero and sweep a .0005" Interapid across all four bed rails and the needle never leaves contact with the zero hash mark. Having two vises is a very nice luxury, and I especially like the 3600, as you can use them to "bookend" odd sized/shaped parts like this.
IMG_0560.JPG

great score, adn great point, @akjeff

... when I was talking about matched vises, my experience is limited to the DX6, and confirmation from the company about the matching service. Their 3600V is a CNC class product, and I would expect at that price, that they would have much greater accuracy.

I *love* your setup there!

great score, adn great point, @akjeff

... when I was talking about matched vises, my experience is limited to the DX6, and confirmation from the company about the matching service. Their 3600V is a CNC class product, and I would expect at that price, that they would have much greater accuracy.

I *love* your setup there!
Thanks @Dabbler! Were it not for the smoking deal on ebay, and the scratch and dent from Kurt( they even shipped it as far as Seattle for free! ) I wouldn't even have considered the 3600, but now that I have them; love the features. Good point that the 3600 is considered a CNC vise vs the DX6. I hadn't thought about that in regards to "matched vises". The quality control of Kurt is truly impressive to me.

If you by chance had two identical milling vises would you mount both on your mill?
I keep two permanently set on my mill and use one central stop for one or both vices.
Link to video showing stop details of how it retains its X datum position when adjusted.

Back