• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

UT Austin auction Clausing bitsa lathe, Van Norman mill, monster pipe threader

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I have a meeting on that campus tomorrow afternoon, I’ll try to take a look while I’m there.

mattthemuppet2

neat! from the pics it looks like a bunch of the mill stuff is bundled in with the lathe parts. Why they need to take that apart I've no idea.

Z2V

The notes said it was disassembled to remove from room it was in. It sure looks like they got carried away though.

4GSR

Banned
Banned
Sorry Jeff, I accidently deleted my post when I realized what I did and I can't get it resurrected. Sorry

I was getting this thread mixed up with a thread for stuff on auction at A & M, too.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Just sent the StepSon an email telling him he'd have to pick up the Van Norman and bring it over to TN.
He's whining about only having a Prius... I had to explain to him that since he's in Texas now he's gonna have to get a Truck.

I was getting this thread mixed up with a thread for stuff on auction at A & M, too.
@insurgent K Where's this A&M auction you mention? :grin:

Z2V

There is a Van Norman #12 on Austin CL also, $2600 Middle.road if your interested!
Yep, your right about the truck, Prius just won’t cut it

middle.road

Actively Learning...
There is a Van Norman #12 on Austin CL also, $2600 Middle.road if your interested!
Yep, your right about the truck, Prius just won’t cut it
Wow, the Austin CL has some decent stuff on it. (and prices to match in some cases.)
Did you see that Atlas Horizontal Mill?
I was just tugging the Stepson's leg about the Van Norman, Appreciate the headsup though.
Something that heavy would probably go through my Garage/Shop floor knowing how they construct things around here.

Z2V

I think my garage floor is maxed out also.

Sad to say that I just left the warehouse where the machines are setting outside completely rusted and disassembled sitting there in pieces. To make matters worse, the lathe looked like it was hardly used, absolutely no sign of wear to my untrained eye. The machines are at the JJ Pickle Research Center, maybe the students disassembled them for research.
I took several pics but I can’t load them right now. If there is any interest say so and I’ll post them this evening.

mattthemuppet2

that's a crying shame. they'll probably go for scrap or spare parts in that condition. It'd take a real dedicated restorer/ rescuer to put the money into the lathe, especially given that it's diassembled.

Z2V

I think one would have to take both machines because it looked as though the parts for both were just thrown together in several small crates. Crying shame for sure.

4GSR

Banned
Banned
I've seen lathes and such, new, taken apart, and repurposed into special machinery for some job there was a need for. And the need was not even close to being a turning machine! It's possible that someone's research project got cancelled for an unknown reason. Everything piled into a box, in this case, several boxes/pallets. So I'm sure someone will get it, go thru assemble the lathe, if everything is there, the rest could be repurposed as usable material.

Z2V, Were you able to get a tour of that building? I've driven by it many times and wondered what they did in there. That overhead crane looks to be at least 75 ton capacity.

4GSR

Banned
Banned

Z2V

Ken
No I was not able to tour the place. ( I would love to though) I don’t really know first hand what all they do on that campus. There are many buildings there that you cannot see from the road. I did see a concrete hardness testing lab next to the warehouse where the equipment was. I think I would probably be shocked to know all of what goes on there. And yes, that’s one big crane
No telling about the lathe, it’s like every nut and bolt was removed from everything and tossed into boxes.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
[6]
[5] [7]