UT Austin auction Clausing bitsa lathe, Van Norman mill, monster pipe threader

that's a crying shame. they'll probably go for scrap or spare parts in that condition. It'd take a real dedicated restorer/ rescuer to put the money into the lathe, especially given that it's diassembled.

I think one would have to take both machines because it looked as though the parts for both were just thrown together in several small crates. Crying shame for sure.

I've seen lathes and such, new, taken apart, and repurposed into special machinery for some job there was a need for. And the need was not even close to being a turning machine! It's possible that someone's research project got cancelled for an unknown reason. Everything piled into a box, in this case, several boxes/pallets. So I'm sure someone will get it, go thru assemble the lathe, if everything is there, the rest could be repurposed as usable material.

Z2V, Were you able to get a tour of that building? I've driven by it many times and wondered what they did in there. That overhead crane looks to be at least 75 ton capacity.

Ken
No I was not able to tour the place. ( I would love to though) I don’t really know first hand what all they do on that campus. There are many buildings there that you cannot see from the road. I did see a concrete hardness testing lab next to the warehouse where the equipment was. I think I would probably be shocked to know all of what goes on there. And yes, that’s one big crane
No telling about the lathe, it’s like every nut and bolt was removed from everything and tossed into boxes.

Back