Utilathe 9" Power Crossfeed

Mark2019

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a Standard Modern Utilathe 9". Everything appears to be in good working order, although moving the power cross feed lever to the engage position does not have any effect. Does anyone have any experience with the saddle on this lathe, and why the power cross feed doesn't work? Before I go pulling it all apart, I thought it might be wise to talk to someone with some experience.
This is my first lathe, and for a 9", its very heavy. Mark

I'm not an expert but is the lead screw turning? Got the selector in the correct position and then tighten the clutch knob on the bottom of the apron?

Sorry if you did all that. BTW, congrats, very nice lathe especially for your first lathe!

If the lead screw is turning, then see if the lead screw is turning the gear at the back of the apron. If that is working, then the problem is in the apron or the cross feed screw.

If the lead screw is not turning, then follow the drive components from the spindle to the lead screw looking for the problem.

Lead screw turns and the forward/reverse lever for the lead screw works as expected. Thread dial also works as expected. Engage the half nut, carriage moves, release the half nut, and thread dial starts to turn again. The lockout mechanism for the cross feed appears to also work as expected. With the half nut engaged, the cross feed control is locked.

I'm reluctant to tear apart the apron, as the lathe is in full working order, other than the power cross feed. Being new to this machine, I have not gained the confidence yet, to start tearing it apart. I will take another look at the underside of the apron with the lead screw turning, and see what I can see. Maybe if I get a camera up under there, I will learn more.

The clutch that is mentioned above, is where I am a bit confused. Its a knurled knob, and when I turn it, it acts on the cross feed handle, and turns the cross feed handle rapidly, when I rotate it. It also have some in/out movement, but I don't know what the correct behavior of this clutch knob should be. Do I pull it to engage, or how is this knob supposed to operate? Its not clear how this clutch knob works.

Thanks to everyone for the reply, I will keep you posted on my findings.

There are several manuals for Standard Modern at the vintagemachinery.org site, perhaps you might find useful information in there if you don't already have a manual. I scanned through one briefly, but wasn't sure if it was the one for your machine or not. Just a thought.

-frank

Manual

Attachments

• standard-modern-utilathe-9-inch-manual.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
I assume that the lever at the lower far right of the carriage is the threading feed (half nuts.) It appears(?) to be engaged. When threading is engaged, the feed function should be disengaged, by a lockout that keeps both from being engaged at the same time, which would break things. Move that lever up and then try to engage the cross feed.
(Just looked at the manual, and it confirms my thoughts.)

Get an inspection mirror back there to see what's happening. If your view is limited, it wouldn't hurt to just separate the apron from the carriage, as its pretty straightforward. Unbolt the lead screw support at the far end of bed, and then loosen the allen bolts on top of the carriage to separate the apron from the carriage.

According to the posted manual and video, you're making the right moves. Something is wrong in the clutch or apron or both.
You've got the parts breakdown so get it disassembled. Disconnect the lead screw at both ends, remove the bolts /screws holding the apron to the saddle, move the whole unit to the work bench and see whats wrong. Please post up what you find.

Last edited:
Back