Utilathe 9" Power Crossfeed

I assume that the lever at the lower far right of the carriage is the threading feed (half nuts.) It appears(?) to be engaged. When threading is engaged, the feed function should be disengaged, by a lockout that keeps both from being engaged at the same time, which would break things. Move that lever up and then try to engage the cross feed.
(Just looked at the manual, and it confirms my thoughts.)
Half nut engages when you pull the lever up....

Dropped the lead screw, detached the saddle, and took it to the bench. Removed the cover to expose the internals, and I don't see anything jumping out as a problem. All the gears turn, I can see no broken teeth, or gears that are not meshing properly. The cross feed screw looks good also. My attention is at the clutch for the cross slide engagement mechanism, and the clutch plates. Its not clear how this works, but as I keep getting deeper into it, I'm hopeful something will jump out as obviously wrong. New link of the saddle on the bench. Saddle removed.

Thanks. My mistake, though seems backwards to me for ergonomics...
When operating the lathe, lifting the lever to engage is actually very natural, and as you reach the end of the pass, pushing the lever down is quick. I suspect that other lathes operate in the reverse, but this one is up to engage, down to release. If I ever get a new lathe that works the other way, I will be sure to make lots of mistakes until I get used to it.

The operating manual says to "tighten the knurled knob" to engage the clutch. This to me means to twist the knurled knob clockwise to clamp the clutch plates together. Have you tried tightening the knob while watching the clutch plate mechanics, if you can see them?

The operating manual says to "tighten the knurled knob" to engage the clutch. This to me means to twist the knurled knob clockwise to clamp the clutch plates together. Have you tried tightening the knob while watching the clutch plate mechanics, if you can see them?
This is what I read also, and yes, clockwise turning of the knob turns the crossfeed screw, but it doesn't seem to have a loosen/tighten feel to it. It feels like its ratched down, and doesn't back off. Need to get into it a bit deeper and see if I can get the clutch plates and knob off... Stay tuned.

Reactions: jcp
This post is the very helpful. I took the clutch mechanism all apart, and its still not clear how it works. But I think you are pointing me in the right direction. I'm going to have to create some kind of stand to mount the apron on, and re-assemble, to see if I can get a look at how the clutch works. There are 3 pins that appear to engage with the gear that drives it all, and a spring that looks like it is intended to let the 3 pins pull out of the mating gear. Depending on how tight the knob is turned, the clutch is either locked on, or if you spin the knob all the way in, or if you spin it all the way out, it will allow the 3 pins to come free of the gear. I will try to get some pictures to explain better. When I got the lathe, the clutch knob was tightened all the way down, and didn't behave as I would have expected. After disassembly, its clear that this knob is supposed to have some running room to tighten / loosen the clutch.

With the saddle disassembled, I also found that the worm gear that runs the carriage is badly worn, so I am looking for a replacement. It will probably cost an arm and a leg to get a new worm gear. Sent a request for quote to Standard Modern, awaiting reply.

I have to say thank you to all on this forum for all the advice, and giving me the confidence to attempt disassembly of the lathe. It came apart exactly as described, with little fuss, and reassembly does not seem to be too difficult. Thanks to all for the help.
Mark

This is good news. Please post up when you get it repaired.

Last edited:
Mark, I just had a thought. There should be a key between the lead screw and worm. Check that it isn't worn out so far that the lead screw cannot drive the worm.

Mark I have the same lathe. If you wish maybe tomorrow we can get on the phone together and see if I can help, before we moved up here to French River we lived in Beaverton.

Back