Utility Tray for 12x36

Muskt

Home Shop Tinkerer
Registered
I'm just having a ball in my shop. My latest project was a tray for the 12x36. It seems that I have way too much "stuff" siting on the top of the Head Stock.

So, at my last visit to the metal yard, I scrounged some pieces of Aluminum to build an auxiliary tool tray. I found some 1 inch 1/8 thick angle, some pieces of 1/8 plate 12 inches wide, & a short piece of 1 inch square 1/8 wall box tubing. Of course, I bought more than necessary--can never have too much material on hand. Anyway, for the tray, it came to less than $10. The tray is 10x12 inches.

Why aluminum? Steel is cheaper. The biggest reason is because my TIGing on Aluminum is not very good.
If you notice on the following pic, on the tray portion, about 1 inch from the edges, you can see some bumps (looks like scratches, but they are bumps). The tray by no means required welding all the way around; but since I needed the practice, I went for it. I mitered the angle & welded the corners on the outside only. The square tubing was also welded full length--just for the practice. I can state that as the project proceeded, the welds improved--at my current rate, in 5-10 more years, I may get the hang of it.

PM 12x36 Tray2.jpg

Anyway, I had a ball building it. The next operation will be to trim the bolts under the gear cover.

Jerry in Delaware

PS. Paint is Rustoleum Royal Blue 7527

Last edited:
Back