V-4 Wobbler?

Jeff, from the looks of your wobbler, (I prefer the label "oscillator" as wobbler sounds like someone drunk!) you are way ahead of me. Every one of the forum here is WAY ahead of me. This was made on an EMCO compact 5 with its little vertical mill. I do have all the attachments they have for it and certainly came in handy. Works nice for soft material and my limited skills. This motor would certainly not be a challenge for someone of your capabilities. My idea of tolerance on parts is get withing 10 thousands, you guys are a whole lot better. The motor is fairly forgiving other than getting the intake/exhaust ports close to perfect. The worse part for me, the part that really stopped me and turned to an electric motor for my tug was the dang piping. This is 1/8 brass tubing and need some complex bends that are precise to avoid obstacles along the way and align perfectly to the holes they are silver soldered into. It took several hours for each one (8) to get them right with a lot of reheating to soften and careful bending. Not a lot of fun.
If you really wish to build one, let me know and I will mail you the book. I only ask that you return it when you have copied the plans (20 pages). Just easier for me to mail it to you than scan the pages.
Will leave that up to you. The book is copyrighted. Just starting on a 1931 Philco radio project and when finished, I would like to go back to the little lathe and see if I can find plans for a single cylinder reciprocating walking beam engine. Might be fun. Maybe I can drive a ferris wheel with it?
Jerry

Thanks for the link Tony and Jeff if your out there, the book was mailed to you today.
Jerry

OK, I will try to post a couple pictures of the little 4 cylinder oscillating engine. Note: I did not call it a "wobbler" although that does describe it well. I will note that this was just after I got it running and finishing off the lube port that has the large screw plugging it and a lever on the top cap of the engine that will control the pressure into the engine and reverse it.

Jerry

P4300004.jpg

P4300004.jpg

Well, I think the pics took. Great plans sent to Jeff, the whole book which has boiler and many different engines you might wish to build. Sorry the brass looks a little oxidized but it has been 30 years since they were made. It is really a neat little engine and likes to run fast. Probably would run a little slower if my cylinder/piston fit was a little tighter. I used "Rulon" for the pistons, a teflon impregnated with iron product. It was used for high speed centrifuge bearings. No lube required.

Jerry

P4300004.jpg

Well try again for pictures of the tug boat that the motor was going into. Went to electric and R/C. This may not be appropriate for this forum but there are many metal parts made for it. Including the prop, the windless for the anchor and the steam whistle. The plans for the boat were from the Smithsonian as they have many plans for old boats. This was made by the classic plank on frame. Certainly a lot more woodwork than metal turning but though you might like to see some of it. I was younger then and more patient cutting out little tiny planks of wood.
Jerry

P1010002-5.jpg

P1010004-7.jpg

Seem to have trouble with adding more than a couple pics. Will try again.
Jerry

P1010003-5.jpg

P1010005-3.jpg

Probably doing something wrong.

Jerry

For any of you that would like to see the "little wobbler" run, here is a link to utube. Probably not live, you will have to copy and paste it to your what ever it is called to go somewhere. Still computer stupid.
Enjoy, Jerry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SgIv2uCojw&feature=autoplay&list=UL0SgIv2uCojw&playnext=1

Is this the engine? I have the plans in PDF.

View attachment 45732

John
Yes John, that is the engine, looks nicer than mine. I did sent the book to Jeff to copy the plans. They were from the same guy and published in the book. Nice to know you have the plans in PDF. Others on this forum may be interested. It is really nice running engine with a lot of torque.
Jerry

Still wondering if any of you have built one of these? I would love to watch your progress and learn more.
Regards, Jerry

Back