V-groove cutting tool

I probably have full form tool for an A size v belt groove. I could loan it to you. Cutting a v-belt groove with full form tool is a big ask for small lathes. The large tool contact means a lot odtorque and a lot of chatter. Brino's method of using a parting tool is the best way to go.

I probably have full form tool for an A size v belt groove. I could loan it to you. Cutting a v-belt groove with full form tool is a big ask for small lathes. The large tool contact means a lot odtorque and a lot of chatter. Brino's method of using a parting tool is the best way to go.
Thanks for the offer, I will keep you posted. My original thought was a very slow feed in aluminum.....I am meeting a machinist tomorrow who says its a piece of cake for him.....we will see!

Thanks for the offer, I will keep you posted. My original thought was a very slow feed in aluminum.....I am meeting a machinist tomorrow who says its a piece of cake for him.....we will see!
Rough out the middle with the parting tool. Turn the compound to the correct angle and cut the flank of the V with the parting tool. That is the simplest way.

So, my machinist friend roughed out the V-grooves for me. He left me the "easy" work......I turned a recess into the backside for the mounting flange. I need to take out a lot of material on the front side. What cutter do you recommend? I have to go in about 1" on a 5" diameter.

Attachments

• IMG_7339.JPG
    IMG_7339.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_7341.JPG
    IMG_7341.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 88
I need to take out a lot of material on the front side. What cutter do you recommend? I have to go in about 1" on a 5" diameter.
I would use a boring bar mounted with minimal stickout, a heftier one if you have one. But a RH turning/facing tool should work fine too as long as it's not too big where you might run into clearance issues.

I’m a day late and a dollar short but allow me to add that cutting V grooves in pulleys involves the width and depth of the groove and one more important factor; the angle of the sides of the V. Pulleys for belt driven apparatus transfer energy from the friction fit of the sides of the belt.

Back