V12

Yes Bob
It's a previous model of PV called 444
1944-1957
Volvo PV 544 1958-1965

Interesting piston arrangement, ( Not me) made a motion simulation to see how it works, uploads some pictures + movies if anyone else is interested.
The piston with the shorter crankcase will get an asymmetrical motion (not 180 degrees between TDC and BDC)
A curve for each piston with start in TDC (4 turns), one can see that the big difference between the sides is in BDC where the short strike piston (KOLV_1) has a significantly higher acceleration + that it is slightly offset.

10617_CJXE6BG3RMLI1524587866.jpg

10617_2WIM69NVC2QM1524587866.jpg

10617_1567BK7OFKX781524587866.jpg

I have a problem! how to get the engine seal against gearbox.Does anyone have any idea? The crankshaft is milled on three points.( not round)

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0527.JPG

DSC_0529.JPG

DSC_0530.JPG

DSC_0531.JPG

Last edited:
It's pretty funny from where I sit - 5,000 miles away! :sorry: - I shouldn't laugh.

Is that a pile of steel plate to the right of the lathe? If so it looks like there is enough for you to build another tank?

Your projects are exciting to follow along with. Thanks for the gumption to attempt them and for posting them here & on YouTube.

It's pretty funny from where I sit - 5,000 miles away! :sorry: - I shouldn't laugh.

Is that a pile of steel plate to the right of the lathe? If so it looks like there is enough for you to build another tank?

Your projects are exciting to follow along with. Thanks for the gumption to attempt them and for posting them here & on YouTube.
Gumption?? I need to add weight to the flywheel otherwise the engine will run rough

Has not heard of Hall-Scott have to checkout
Hall Scott was made in Berkley, California; all their engines that I have seen have been overhead cam construction, I had a Caterpillar Two Ton tractor with HS engine, OH cam, one cam lobe operated both intake and exhaust valves. The building is still there. So far as I know, all their engines were gasoline powered, diesels more or less pushed them out of business.

Back