V13 lathe optional equipment

PatrickLucas

Registered
Registered
Now that I have the lathe, I'm still not finished cleaning it up. It has had aluminium packed in places for years, just started getting it cleaned, and oiled up.
I noticed while cleaning the back it looks like something big attaches to the back. Would that have been a mill attachment from one of the smaller v series lathes?
I didn't get anything with this lathe other than a 8 inch 3 jaw chuck with usable jaws. I can't find the name on the chuck to order jaws.
This lathe sat in storage for the past 5 years or so. The previous 15, or 20 years it was used to cut aluminum parts in half to reveal a feature to be measured. When parts were still available someone had ordered or had made custom jaws being that only 1 part was being cut down. The jaw part that goes into the scroll may be usable, but the work holding part is not. i looked on Ebay the jaws available for work holding would not fit the tooth pattern on my scroll side I think that the chuck is original to the lathe. Would the chuck be labeled somewhere in the back that can't be seen until the chuck is removed?

I checked the gears and I think I have all of the metric gears. I say think because I have not removed the small gear to check It yet.

Also have a live center with small tip. Doesn't look used but is browned like the chuck. Twisting with my fingers feels to be good at low speed, not been able to check it at speed for bad bearings yet.

Pat: You may or may not be able to find a set of jaws that will fit and give some semblance of accuracy. It sounds likely that it's a Pratt/Burnerd chuck but jaw sets are usually fitted individually at the factory. Save up your money and get a new chuck is my recommendation
Mark
ps also consider getting a 4-jaw chuck also

Just went and stoned the front and it says made in Germany N2124. FORGED STEEL. The jaw faces have the numbers for the jaws inside small squares.
I found a single jaw in the coolant return drawer. It has the scroll on one side and inside outside jaws on the other. Where the jaws on it have the scroll with keyed back, keyed back and jaw on the other side that bolts together.

If I can find the correct brand we may have an old set at work. Chances are slim but they may have been on stock at one time and I could order some. Or if I can get the information I need I may be able to go thru the old engineer whorder room. Rather have teeth pulled, but a chance that I could find some.

Last edited:
Would like a 4 jaw chuck. It's the reason I'm trying to get what I have working, I'll be able to tinker a while and get the bugs out and figure out exactly what I need in a 4 jaw. I just took the chuck apart and found aluminum everywhere. Cleaned that all up and looked it over it looks to be in real good shape inside, teeth good and thick tops still have machine marks.

Pat, the stock lathe chuck for the V13 was a 160mm (6.2") 3 jaw D1-4 chuck. If yours is an 8" then it isn't OEM. Therefore, its a crap shoot as to who made it unless you can find a maker mark or link the model number so some maker. I searched Rohm's site and couldn't find a N2124 lathe chuck listed. If it is a forged steel chuck then it might be a Rohm; you might email them and ask.

Pat: You may or may not be able to find a set of jaws that will fit and give some semblance of accuracy. It sounds likely that it's a Pratt/Burnerd chuck but jaw sets are usually fitted individually at the factory. Save up your money and get a new chuck is my recommendation
Mark
ps also consider getting a 4-jaw chuck also

Pratt Burnerd's were made in the UK so if its German then might not be PB, Mark. If the jaw mount is the universal type with the two socket head screws that mount the jaw to a carrier then finding replacement jaws should be simple as many companies make those. If they are fit to the chuck and scroll then good luck and I would agree with Mark that a new chuck would probably be your best bet to get up and running.

Pics of the chuck might help.

You need to determine if your lathe is a metric or imperial lathe. If imperial, the cross slide and compound feeds will be calibrated in inches but the saddle feed will be metric. Confirm the diameter and TPI of the leadscrew as well. If was originally sold here in the US then it is likely to be an imperial lathe, in which case the gear train will allow for cutting imperial threads. If this is so then you need to find the metric gear set to cut metric threads so start looking for that.

Does your lathe have a thread dial indicator? If so, good because it should have three gears on it to allow you to cut imperial and metric threads with it. If not then start searching ebay for this one, too.

If the boss you're referring to is on the back of the lathe bed, sort of in the middle, then it is intended to mount a milling column. However, I'm not aware that they ever sold the V13 with a milling attachment. If they did then it would likely be the same one mounted to a Super 11. These attachments allow for very rudimentary milling capability and are not worth finding and buying unless you're wanting all OEM equipment. A free-standing mill is far more capable.

Ah it's an Emco machine- I didn't recognize V13 straight away
Yes Mikey is right, the stock 3 jaw would be around 6" and a 4 jaw around 8"

Will this tell you if it's metic or standard? I suspect that it was bought in Germany and shipped to us new.

Back