Value of very early Atlas 10" lathe?

MrChefur

Registered
Registered
Hey everyone,
I have an Atlas 10" lathe I'm looking to sell. I picked it up dirt cheap a while back, and now a family friend is trading me a like-new Atlas 12" with all the accessories and QCGB in exchange for some work, and I don't have the room for both.
From what I can tell, it's one of the early 1936 lathes. It came with some 96 tooth gears (of which I've made 3d printed reproductions, shown in the pictures). Also, the gears are 0.335" thick as opposed to the 3/8" thick number I see referenced online.
The bed is 54" long.
Any help or information is greatly appreciated.
I am located in Southern California.
IMG_20181112_113241.jpg
IMG_20181112_113340.jpg
IMG_20181110_113548.jpg
IMG_20181112_113312.jpg

congrats on the newer lathe!
as far as the old one goes, i have seen them as low as $300 and as much as $800, comparably equipped

i'd try $600 and see if you get any bites, you can always adjust the price :cool:

1936 or 1937 is a good guess. It has the later legs under the bed. So not 1935. How about posting the serial number? It will be found stamped into the top of the front way near the right end. And also say whether the compound swivel is locked by two square head bolts that are horizontal or by two hex head ones that are vertical.

If it weren't missing the motor switch and escutcheon and the several parts of the change gear guard, I might not say this but in my opinion you may be better off parting it out. The QCTP you may want to keep for the 12" unless it already has one. The 96T gears are hard to find as they went out of production around 1939. There was a post this morning on the Yahoo mill & shaper group from someone looking for a 9-101-20 gear which I think that you will find on the back side of the left hand 96T.

Checked your listing , looks good to me . Is the lathe sitting on the ground ? It's hard to tell from the picture . If it is on the ground I think it would be worth the effort to get it up on a bench and set it up for a demo .

How about posting the serial number? It will be found stamped into the top of the front way near the right end. And also say whether the compound swivel is locked by two square head bolts that are horizontal or by two hex head ones that are vertical.

If it weren't missing the motor switch and escutcheon and the several parts of the change gear guard, I might not say this but in my opinion you may be better off parting it out. The QCTP you may want to keep for the 12" unless it already has one. The 96T gears are hard to find as they went out of production around 1939. There was a post this morning on the Yahoo mill & shaper group from someone looking for a 9-101-20 gear which I think that you will find on the back side of the left hand 96T.
Sorry, it totally slipped my mind to post the number. It's D 3388 S.
The compound swivel is locked by two vertical hex bolts.
My 96 tooth gears in the picture don't have any markings - I 3d printed them myself! They have been working great too.

Checked your listing , looks good to me . Is the lathe sitting on the ground ? It's hard to tell from the picture . If it is on the ground I think it would be worth the effort to get it up on a bench and set it up for a demo .
Yes, the lathe is on the ground. I've been using it that way since I got it - hopped right into my lathe projects and skipped the part where I make a stand for it (although I definitely should have made one).

Last edited:
OK. Thanks.

What material did you print the gears in?

I printed mine in PLA. I've got some Nylon due for arrival tomorrow.

That’s a good deal, MrChefur. For me, as a general shop lathe, without a QC gear box, it is not something i’d pursue at any price. Happy that you found a good match.

Back