Van Norman 1/2 has only limited movement in the x axis

DaveV

Registered
Registered
I have a Van Norman 1/2 that will no longer move through it's entire x axis range. It moves approximately 6 inches and then binds up tight. Anyone have any insight as to what might be wrong and how to fix it? Since it will not move through it's entire range I do not know how to remove the table to see what might be the problem. The gibs do not seem to be accessible without more table movement either. Other than this problem, its in good shape for its age. I really don't want to scrap it, but but am out of ideas on my own as to how to proceed.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

sounds like gibbs too tight to me too.

Must be a hidden gibb adjustment somewhere. On my VN 16, they are relatively accessible. Yours may be hidden under some grease or maybe are like my old shaper and have recessed screws along side of a non-tapered gibb instead of the usual single screw on end of tapered gibb.

Last edited:
Maybe so. I'll have another look. The only obvious gib srews are blocked by the table.

I have spent hours looking for additional gib adjustments and have not found any. The machine does not have much grease caked on it, though it is pretty oily. I have owned this machine for several years and have had other items that have needed periodic adjustment and even an occasional part have had to make, but this is the first time I have not been able to disassemble the machine to see what is wrong.

Aother piece of information that might help is that the left hand wheel on the X-axis is just spinning. It does not engage the table now. This is a new problem that just showed up at the same time as the table binding. The right hand wheel spins when the left hand wheel is moved, but the table does not move.

Anyway, thank you for the suggestion. It is certainly possible that I have missed something. Obviously I have, or I'd know what I needed to do to fix it.

Thank you.

Last edited:
The right hand wheel spinning when you turn the left hand wheel indicates that the lead screw is turning. If the table isn't moving, I would suspect the lead screw nut.

The right hand wheel spinning when you turn the left hand wheel indicates that the lead screw is turning. If the table isn't moving, I would suspect the lead screw nut.
That makes sense to me. Any idea how to get to that nut since I can't move or remove the table. Keep in mind that this is a Van Norman 1/2, not a 12.

Thanks. I'm really stumped on this one.

Not at all familiar with your machine but the the table went on so it has to be able to be removed.

I looked at some on line images of the machine and it is not configured as I expected. A quick return wheel is mounted on the right front. Is this what you are referring to as the right hand wheel?
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/members/jimustanguitar.49363/ has a Van Norman 1/2 and you might PM him for some assistance.

Yes, the quick return hand wheel is what I was referring to as the right hand wheel. This handle will move the table through about 6 inches of movement. The power feed engagement is also located on the shaft of this wheel and also moves the table through approximately 6 inches of travel before binding.

I've never had the table off, but agree it went on so it must come off, but it is not obvious how to do it. I''ll try to snap a couple of pictures of the table and see if after seeing them anyone has any ideas. I probably will not be able to get out to the shop until this evening.

Here are a few pictures to show what the mill looks like and more specifically how the table looks. Any ideas on how to get it off?

Attachments

• DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 30
  • vn1.jpg
    vn1.jpg
    691.3 KB · Views: 31
  • vn2.jpg
    vn2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • vn3.jpg
    vn3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • vn6.jpg
    vn6.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 23
  • vn7.jpg
    vn7.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Isn't that your table gib in images 3, 4 and 5. Held down by some allen head screws. I'm not sure I see an adjuster, so there may be a long spacer underneath with multiple layers soldered together. If that's the case, get some advise here before you separate layers. I didn't on my atlas shaper and it was a bit of a mess. I also have no idea what to tell you about the leadscrew.

You might put a wrench on those allen head bolts. If they are very loose, I could see them coming up and binding / interfering with table. If they are all tight, I might loosen each a half turn (without breaking them) and see if your travel improves. It sure looks like there is a spacer underneath the gib on picture 5. But I'm no expert.

Back