Van Norman 1/2 table will not move toward column

DaveV

Registered
Registered
I have an old Van Norman #1/2 that recently decided it did not want to move the table in toward the column. Still moves out ok, but nearly impossible to move in. I'm going to start to pull it apart Thursday, but thought I'd ask for any advice about what might cause this or what to look for first. I've never really had this machine apart, so am not sure what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks for any advise you can provide.

Perhaps the screw retaining the small end of the gib has fallen out or backed out and the gib is wedging in place and then loosening when you are moving in the opposite direction.

Reactions: jcp
Perhaps the screw retaining the small end of the gib has fallen out or backed out and the gib is wedging in place and then loosening when you are moving in the opposite direction.
I had not thought about that. Well worth checking out. I'll check it out before checking anything else.

It was not a great day on the mill. First the motor went up in smoke. Not what I wanted, but it is a very, very old motor and will not be difficult to replace, so I just shrugged. Then I started having problems with the table. Not related, I know, but to have both problems in the same day, when this machine has never caused my any problems before was disappointing. Oh well, will just have to put everything back together and move on.

Thanks for your suggestion. I can use all the help I can get.

Don't feel too bad, bringing these old machines into the "New Millennium" often involves some growing pains
mark

Any progress Dave?
Hi Brockwood,

Thanks for asking. I got a chance to take a look at the mill yesterday and the fix turned out to be pretty simple. One of the nuts for adjusting backlash had worked a little loose and was binding. I readjusted it and tightened it back down and now the saddle is moving as it should again. I was a little concerned about this, so was relieved it was so simple. I should have know it had to be something with either the screw or the gibs ... not much else it could have been.

I also ordered a new motor. Not too worried about that as it should be a straight forward installation. Probably have to drill a few new holes int he mounting plate. Not too disappointed in the motor. I'm not sure if it was original or not, but is very, very old so it gave good service.

Have to say I really like this funky old mill. Not fast and nothing fancy, but it makes me smile and pretty much serves my simple needs. I've only owned it for a couple of years, but it's become a good friend in the shop.

Hi Brockwood,

Thanks for asking. I got a chance to take a look at the mill yesterday and the fix turned out to be pretty simple. One of the nuts for adjusting backlash had worked a little loose and was binding. I readjusted it and tightened it back down and now the saddle is moving as it should again. I was a little concerned about this, so was relieved it was so simple. I should have know it had to be something with either the screw or the gibs ... not much else it could have been.

I also ordered a new motor. Not too worried about that as it should be a straight forward installation. Probably have to drill a few new holes int he mounting plate. Not too disappointed in the motor. I'm not sure if it was original or not, but is very, very old so it gave good service.

Have to say I really like this funky old mill. Not fast and nothing fancy, but it makes me smile and pretty much serves my simple needs. I've only owned it for a couple of years, but it's become a good friend in the shop.

Well, got some time today and got the new motor installed on the old VN 1/2 and it's now back in operation. Pretty straight forward, just needed to drill new mounting holes and decided to take the opportunity to replace the old wiring with new. Can't tell you how nice it is to have the old girl functioning again. It's a slow, pretty crude old mill, but it still makes me smile when I get the chance to use it.

Thanks to those of you who made suggestions and passed along words of encouragement!

Last edited:
Glad you're up n running again! Pics would be nice when you get the chance.

Make sure you go through and properly lubricate the bearings. 1/2's used plain bearings, so lubrication is critical.

Back