[4]

Van Norman 22L, on ebay

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Boy am I glad I don't have room for those two. They would be so tempting at that price.

Uglydog

Active User
Thinking....

Daryl
MN

Reeltor

Active User
Registered
Boy am I glad I don't have room for those two. They would be so tempting at that price.
I'd be in trouble if I was within a short drive of Ohio :) Show up with a trailer and make a low-ball cash offer---you never know what the seller's bottom line is until you try to buy it.

Superburban

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Thats a good price. A gear box for the cutter beats changing belts. The capability of being able to change from a horizontal, to a vertical, and anywhere in between, is a big plus. But you give up the ability for a quill feed (the knee is your only up/down).

Looks to use the Van Norman collets, not the NMTB50 like a lot of other 22's. Also is a 22LU, with the universal table (can be rotated), Never quite found a reason for rotating it. If considering, keep in mind it has two motors, the 2HP one on the top, for the cutter head, and another 1&1/2 to 2 HP in the base, that powers the table/knee. Also has a sump in the base for a coolant system, It appears that this one was not ordered with the pump but would not take much to add the pump, and a screen where the plates is for the return to the sump.

I love mine, the mill is more then strong enough to do anything most hobbyists will ever need. Mine easily handled boring out a small block mopar engine.

Old junk

Registered
I'd be in trouble if I was within a short drive of Ohio :) Show up with a trailer and make a low-ball cash offer---you never know what the seller's bottom line is until you try to buy it.
5 Benjamin's,trailer and ability to move it same day would get it.

scwhite

Registered
Registered
Thats a good price. A gear box for the cutter beats changing belts. The capability of being able to change from a horizontal, to a vertical, and anywhere in between, is a big plus. But you give up the ability for a quill feed (the knee is your only up/down).

Looks to use the Van Norman collets, not the NMTB50 like a lot of other 22's. Also is a 22LU, with the universal table (can be rotated), Never quite found a reason for rotating it. If considering, keep in mind it has two motors, the 2HP one on the top, for the cutter head, and another 1&1/2 to 2 HP in the base, that powers the table/knee. Also has a sump in the base for a coolant system, It appears that this one was not ordered with the pump but would not take much to add the pump, and a screen where the plates is for the return to the sump.

I love mine, the mill is more then strong enough to do anything most hobbyists will ever need. Mine easily handled boring out a small block mopar engine.
The rotating table gives you the ability to cut a helical gears
Or a long twist on a spiritual.
You will need the gear drive and the universal indexing head and tail Stock .

Superburban

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
The rotating table gives you the ability to cut a helical gears
Or a long twist on a spiritual.
You will need the gear drive and the universal indexing head and tail Stock .
I'm just not grasping it. Turn the table 10 degrees, and you now have X axis 80 degrees to the Y axis. You could cut two sides of a triangle, but it could still be done by how you mount the workpiece on the table. I can visualize being able to make special cuts with the cutter head in the horizontal position. But even that does not seem like it would be worth the hassle. I guess I need to give it a lot more thought.

The universal Dividing head can cut spirals easily with a standard milling machine.

Reeltor

Active User
Registered
Yes, you can cut spirals with the dividing head on a standard machine BUT you cannot cut Helical Gears without the work set at an angle to the mill cutter. You either need a Universal Mill table or a Universal Right Angle Attachment that you can set at the necessary angle. I bought the attachment for my VanNorman but I think cutting a heavy gear with it would be problematical loosing the rigidity that is part and parcel of the horizontal mill.

I found this on YouTube, a guy in Canada cutting a gear for a diesel engine.

scwhite

Registered
Registered
I'm just not grasping it. Turn the table 10 degrees, and you now have X axis 80 degrees to the Y axis. You could cut two sides of a triangle, but it could still be done by how you mount the workpiece on the table. I can visualize being able to make special cuts with the cutter head in the horizontal position. But even that does not seem like it would be worth the hassle. I guess I need to give it a lot more thought.

The universal Dividing head can cut spirals easily with a standard milling machine.
Yep you need to think about it more
It can get to be a very complicated set up

scwhite

Registered
Registered

A helical gear is a triangle wrapped around the Cylinder there are many deferent ones

scwhite

Registered
Registered
Yes, you can cut spirals with the dividing head on a standard machine BUT you cannot cut Helical Gears without the work set at an angle to the mill cutter. You either need a Universal Mill table or a Universal Right Angle Attachment that you can set at the necessary angle. I bought the attachment for my VanNorman but I think cutting a heavy gear with it would be problematical loosing the rigidity that is part and parcel of the horizontal mill.

I found this on YouTube, a guy in Canada cutting a gear for a diesel engine.

I have cut some helical gears with this complet setup
On a Cincinnati milacron universal horazontil mill
It is a big set up and a good experience .
We had all of the books with the dividing head
Which really helped out .

Last edited:

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
If I byed it get in big trouble, the wifes been bellyacheing about the things ive been getting just to get the planer set up and the RPC needed to run the shop. Id love to have it tho , perfect size , plenty of power and very useful from a time when machines were built to last. But being unable to pick it up myself the cost would double for shipping. Even so I asked for shipping cost.

scwhite

Registered
Registered
If I byed it get in big trouble, the wifes been bellyacheing about the things ive been getting just to get the planer set up and the RPC needed to run the shop. Id love to have it tho , perfect size , plenty of power and very useful from a time when machines were built to last. But being unable to pick it up myself the cost would double for shipping. Even so I asked for shipping cost.
Happy Wife Happy Life

[6]
[5] [7]