Van Norman 22L, on ebay

Boy am I glad I don't have room for those two. They would be so tempting at that price.

Boy am I glad I don't have room for those two. They would be so tempting at that price.

I'd be in trouble if I was within a short drive of Ohio :) Show up with a trailer and make a low-ball cash offer---you never know what the seller's bottom line is until you try to buy it.

Thats a good price. A gear box for the cutter beats changing belts. The capability of being able to change from a horizontal, to a vertical, and anywhere in between, is a big plus. But you give up the ability for a quill feed (the knee is your only up/down).

Looks to use the Van Norman collets, not the NMTB50 like a lot of other 22's. Also is a 22LU, with the universal table (can be rotated), Never quite found a reason for rotating it. If considering, keep in mind it has two motors, the 2HP one on the top, for the cutter head, and another 1&1/2 to 2 HP in the base, that powers the table/knee. Also has a sump in the base for a coolant system, It appears that this one was not ordered with the pump but would not take much to add the pump, and a screen where the plates is for the return to the sump.

I love mine, the mill is more then strong enough to do anything most hobbyists will ever need. Mine easily handled boring out a small block mopar engine.

I'd be in trouble if I was within a short drive of Ohio :) Show up with a trailer and make a low-ball cash offer---you never know what the seller's bottom line is until you try to buy it.
5 Benjamin's,trailer and ability to move it same day would get it.

Thats a good price. A gear box for the cutter beats changing belts. The capability of being able to change from a horizontal, to a vertical, and anywhere in between, is a big plus. But you give up the ability for a quill feed (the knee is your only up/down).

Looks to use the Van Norman collets, not the NMTB50 like a lot of other 22's. Also is a 22LU, with the universal table (can be rotated), Never quite found a reason for rotating it. If considering, keep in mind it has two motors, the 2HP one on the top, for the cutter head, and another 1&1/2 to 2 HP in the base, that powers the table/knee. Also has a sump in the base for a coolant system, It appears that this one was not ordered with the pump but would not take much to add the pump, and a screen where the plates is for the return to the sump.

I love mine, the mill is more then strong enough to do anything most hobbyists will ever need. Mine easily handled boring out a small block mopar engine.
The rotating table gives you the ability to cut a helical gears
Or a long twist on a spiritual.
You will need the gear drive and the universal indexing head and tail Stock .

The rotating table gives you the ability to cut a helical gears
Or a long twist on a spiritual.
You will need the gear drive and the universal indexing head and tail Stock .

I'm just not grasping it. Turn the table 10 degrees, and you now have X axis 80 degrees to the Y axis. You could cut two sides of a triangle, but it could still be done by how you mount the workpiece on the table. I can visualize being able to make special cuts with the cutter head in the horizontal position. But even that does not seem like it would be worth the hassle. I guess I need to give it a lot more thought.

The universal Dividing head can cut spirals easily with a standard milling machine.

Yes, you can cut spirals with the dividing head on a standard machine BUT you cannot cut Helical Gears without the work set at an angle to the mill cutter. You either need a Universal Mill table or a Universal Right Angle Attachment that you can set at the necessary angle. I bought the attachment for my VanNorman but I think cutting a heavy gear with it would be problematical loosing the rigidity that is part and parcel of the horizontal mill.

I found this on YouTube, a guy in Canada cutting a gear for a diesel engine.

Back