Van Norman 22L, on ebay

I'm just not grasping it. Turn the table 10 degrees, and you now have X axis 80 degrees to the Y axis. You could cut two sides of a triangle, but it could still be done by how you mount the workpiece on the table. I can visualize being able to make special cuts with the cutter head in the horizontal position. But even that does not seem like it would be worth the hassle. I guess I need to give it a lot more thought.

The universal Dividing head can cut spirals easily with a standard milling machine.
Yep you need to think about it more
It can get to be a very complicated set up

I'm just not grasping it. Turn the table 10 degrees, and you now have X axis 80 degrees to the Y axis. You could cut two sides of a triangle, but it could still be done by how you mount the workpiece on the table. I can visualize being able to make special cuts with the cutter head in the horizontal position. But even that does not seem like it would be worth the hassle. I guess I need to give it a lot more thought.

The universal Dividing head can cut spirals easily with a standard milling machine.
A helical gear is a triangle wrapped around the Cylinder there are many deferent ones

Yes, you can cut spirals with the dividing head on a standard machine BUT you cannot cut Helical Gears without the work set at an angle to the mill cutter. You either need a Universal Mill table or a Universal Right Angle Attachment that you can set at the necessary angle. I bought the attachment for my VanNorman but I think cutting a heavy gear with it would be problematical loosing the rigidity that is part and parcel of the horizontal mill.

I found this on YouTube, a guy in Canada cutting a gear for a diesel engine.

I have cut some helical gears with this complet setup
On a Cincinnati milacron universal horazontil mill
It is a big set up and a good experience .
We had all of the books with the dividing head
Which really helped out .

Last edited:
If I byed it get in big trouble, the wifes been bellyacheing about the things ive been getting just to get the planer set up and the RPC needed to run the shop. Id love to have it tho , perfect size , plenty of power and very useful from a time when machines were built to last. But being unable to pick it up myself the cost would double for shipping. Even so I asked for shipping cost.

If I byed it get in big trouble, the wifes been bellyacheing about the things ive been getting just to get the planer set up and the RPC needed to run the shop. Id love to have it tho , perfect size , plenty of power and very useful from a time when machines were built to last. But being unable to pick it up myself the cost would double for shipping. Even so I asked for shipping cost.
Happy Wife Happy Life

Back