Van Norman 22L

Scra99tch

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hey,

I picked up a 1943 22L a couple weeks ago and am sorting through things as we speak. It came with a slotting attachment, a high speed spindle, bunch of arbors and collets. and a few spindle B&S adapters.

I have a couple questions though.

Anyone know the lead and O.D. of the X table screw? It has quite a bit of backlash in it. I'll measure when I pull table off to re-grease stuff, grainger sells bronze nuts I believe that could be worked to fit.

Anyone know the thread on the nose of the spindle it measure on maj O.D. 2.965" not sure what pitch. Looking to mount a chuck at some point and do turning if in a pinch until I get a lathe.

I pulled apart the high speed spindle because I could not turn it by hand, but could when attached to machine. A couple of the bearings felt crunchy so I cleaned out all the grease and am putting it back together.

I'll post some photos but I forget how it goes back together there is a washer about 2" diameter with a step on one side that looks to be worn from a bearing inner race the other side has two grooves around the flat part of the washer, the bearings did not ride on this. As you can see in the picture I posted below the front spindle cap also has grooves so I feel that both the cap and the washer were made like this to retain oil.

18582012_10155313740877486_9133418632245138413_n.jpg 18527871_10155313740902486_5978375011882036565_n.jpg IMG_1247.JPG IMG_1249.JPG IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG

It also came with both supports.

I opened up the right side of the knee and everything was clean and fresh.

Even the spindle was spotless. I would like to pull apart further and investigate the condition of the grease but that may wait.

I believe I saw a different head here mounted on a 22L it was more conical shaped. Would anyone know off the top of their heads if one has more accessibility to bearings than the other as far as the availability of timkens?

They made some wonderful mills , I covet one so someday I may be blessed with the money to get one. Good luck with your new baby.

Before you think about replacing the lead screw look at it. There is a way to adjust the back lash, so unless it is well worn, it may not need replaced.

Mine was used several times a week by the original machine shop that bought it in 1949, and looks like new inside.

I first played around with trying to swap the motors out with single phase ones, but they had issues getting started in the higher speeds, and ended up doing what I should have from the start, and got two VFDs to run the motors.

Before you think about replacing the lead screw look at it. There is a way to adjust the back lash, so unless it is well worn, it may not need replaced.

Mine was used several times a week by the original machine shop that bought it in 1949, and looks like new inside.

I first played around with trying to swap the motors out with single phase ones, but they had issues getting started in the higher speeds, and ended up doing what I should have from the start, and got two VFDs to run the motors.

I'll go the rotary phase route. And if I find I want to adjust in between feeds settings I'll put a VFD on feed motor. Might upgrade to 3 HP main motor. If old one is junk.

That would probably been better for me, I now have 7 3 phase motors in the shop. $ VFD's, keep switching one around.

Scra99tch, If there is ever a contest for cleanest Van Norman Mill.... you have a shot! This is your thread - your channel for your documentation of a very nice mill. Progress pics are encouraged!!!

Mutter,mutter - too much to do to mine before getting all the support items out of the way to set up actual power. Enjoy setting that mill up & enjoy using it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On newer machines with NTMB50 tapers the lower part of the cutterhead/spindle takes oil. They have something called a Labyrinth Seals‎ to keep the oil in but after half a century they leak and it's common to hear that Van Normans spit like camels. Mine leaks and I have no intention of taking it apart for a repair; because I know I won't get it back together :rolleyes:. I don't know if your cutterhead takes grease on the upper bearing like my later VN and oil in the main body or grease throughout. I am attaching a 22L manual for "older" machines that have grease cups for the cutterhead.
Good luck with your VN, I don't know anyone who has one and doesn't love it.

One other thing, the feed motor must run in the correct direction or the rapids will not work (I don't remember if the feeds will work with the motor running backwards). It's a simple fix, just switch any 2 load wires to get the motor to rotate the other direction.

Attachments

• VAN NORMAN 22L MANUAL OLDER _pubs_2109_3373.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Got the machine finally running. I will have to rewire a bunch of it as the wire casing is cracking and not in great condition some corrosion on the terminals also that I should clean up. Here is a video that should tied you over until I get the thing really cleaned up. Its posted on Facebook so you might be able to get to the other vid of feeds working

Question why does the rapid handle jump around when in higher feeds? Clutch adjustment possibly?

Its really neat looking at the slotter and high speed spindle attachment.

Got the machine finally running. I will have to rewire a bunch of it as the wire casing is cracking and not in great condition some corrosion on the terminals also that I should clean up. Here is a video that should tied you over until I get the thing really cleaned up. Its posted on Facebook so you might be able to get to the other vid of feeds working

Question why does the rapid handle jump around when in higher feeds? Clutch adjustment possibly?

Its really neat looking at the slotter and high speed spindle attachment.

Do you still have this machine? I just picked up a 22L and trying to figure out my wiring plan. Machine is 3 phase and I have single phase

Back