Van Norman milling machine model 3R-10

DAM 79

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello everyone I just picked up a VanNorman mill model 3R-10 does anyone have any experience with this model ?? The one I got came will a bunch of stuff for horizontal milling 3 sets of arbors and supports. The one thing I didn’t get and the previous owner didn’t have was a manual anyone know where I can get one when I did a internet search not much showed up . The one thing with this mill is that it seems to be stuck in rapid with the travels the spindle works fine any help would be greatly appreciated

Check on vintagemachinery.org?

Check on vintagemachinery.org?
They don’t have that model on there but I I think I’ll have one by the end of the week from a friend and if I do get it I’ll post it for others

I don’t have a 3r10 but I have a 22L.

i suspect if rapids are stuck on, you need to remove the panel in front of the feeds motor on the right
side of the knee (drain oil first!) and adjust the clutch therein.

of at least if that’s not it, the issue should be more obvious from that point.

I don’t have a 3r10 but I have a 22L.

i suspect if rapids are stuck on, you need to remove the panel in front of the feeds motor on the right
side of the knee (drain oil first!) and adjust the clutch therein.

of at least if that’s not it, the issue should be more obvious from that point.
So I got that fixed I had to take covers off of tue side and I took the front all apart too and I needed up using a crow bar to push the clutch back after I took the the main shaft out that runs thru the entire assembly and everything works like it should now other then it will not raise the knee with the rapids and the reason for that is that there is what looks like a adjuster ring there on the clutch unit the one that you rotate clockwise to tighten it has a crack in it and probably needs to be replaced if I can even get a replacement part or I’ll have to take it apart aagain and just make a new ring??? That would be a winter project

If you post a picture maybe what is cracked would be clearer.

believe it or not twin disc clutch in Racine wi still exists and still had some parts for the clutch on my 1942 machine... I bought a replacement clutch disc from them last year.

Rapid clutch shaft parts from the VN22L (with broken clutch plate).

clutch - 1.jpgclutch - 6.jpg

So the one in mine is a Maxitorq is what it looked like to me on the side of it I will have to see if I have any better pics but it looked like a ring that had notches that go all the way around it and there was a flat snap ring that can be lifted up so the ring can be spun in either direction for adjusting and the snap ring goes back down it’s to the right side of the pic behind the shifting fork
Rapid clutch shaft parts from the VN22L (with broken clutch plate).

View attachment 370078View attachment 370079
i didn’t take mine that far apart yet but probably will this winter mine seems to work fine in all directions it’s just when you use the rapids to raise the knee that’s where mine won’t do it

Attachments

• CF2AB7D9-6C81-4A05-91E8-2AE73FC9BC11.jpeg
    CF2AB7D9-6C81-4A05-91E8-2AE73FC9BC11.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Sounds and looks pretty similar to the twin disc one, slightly different adjusting mechanism. When you rapid up does the clutch just slip? Or are you hearing the other clutch (which is supposed to protect against overload) clicking instead?

At least on mine, the rapids clutch does the same thing regardless of which feed is in use. Other than raising the knee probably requires the most torque and therefore most demanding on the clutch adjustment?).

So when using the rapids on mine there is no clicking sound or noise of any kind it just slips I’m assuming all other travels it works fine with just engaging the feed and then hit the rapids and that works fine also but the next time I drain the oil and take that cover off I’m going to adjust that ring there on the front of the clutch counter clockwise and see if that makes a difference but I’m pretty sure I’ll have to take it apart and remove the clutch Assembly and put it on the bench and take it apart and see what’s broke and what I’ll need to fix . I’m just happy that everything works on this mill because it is in really good shape and I received paperwork with it that states in 1973 it was gone over and they checked all the ways and reflaked them and it shows because you can see it on all the underside of the table . I’ve never had a mill like this it’s much bigger and more ridged then my Bridgeport!!!! And more power !!!!

Back