VN Van Norman No. 12 oil cup questions

There are over 20 places that need lubrication with way oil. ... The one for the table ways is on the front of the table itself, near the middle:
View attachment 273567
You should see oil coming out on the sides of the saddle, below the ways in front and in back. If not, something is plugged up.
Here's some additional information about the table oil passages:

As mentioned before, the oil point for the table (X-axis) is a hole in the front of the table, capped by a slotted, flat-head screw with the word "OIL" stamped on it. Behind the screw is a horizontal passage, drilled from the front of the table towards the back. Two vertical cross holes, drilled upwards from the front and back flat ways, intersect the horizontal passage. This photo shows the bottom of the table with the location of the horizontal oil passage marked in red. (The front of the table is towards the bottom of the frame):
IMG_9009ra.jpg

Here's a close up of the front of the table, looking up from below:
IMG_9008.jpg
(The front of the table is at the top of the frame.) The oil inlet is visible at the top of the frame. Note the vertical oil hole and transverse slot that is machined into the bottom of the front flat way. A matching hole and slot are machined into the table over the rear flat way.

Here's the X-axis ways on the top of the saddle:
IMG_9031rc.jpg
Note the five transverse slots machined into the both ways and the diagonal slots that connect them. These slots serve to collect and distribute the oil from the two oil slots in the table above. Also observe how the three slots in the middle, front and rear, are open to the center to allow oil to migrate to the dovetail ways and on to the center sump. It should be obvious that there is no reservoir to store oil for the table ways, apart from the passages and slots already mentioned. This is why the table should be lubricated each time the machine is used.

Every so often, perhaps once a week, the table should moved back and forth to distribute oil to the full length of ways: Crank the table all the way to one end and squirt way oil into the fill point on the front of the table until it appears on the saddle on both sides, front and rear. (I like to use a small plastic squeeze bottle with a pointed tip for this.) The table should then be cranked all the way to the other end and the process repeated. While the table is at either end, it's a good time to squirt or brush oil onto the exposed leadscrew. Once the table is returned to center, wipe of the excess oil from the sides of the saddle.

Cal,
I'm a little embarrassed to ask this question.

I consider myself very handy with construction issues but rather light on mechanic experience. That said, to remove the table on the VN12 it looks like I have to remove the right "bearing casting" for the table lead screw (my VN does not have a right side hand wheel) then appears that it would travel past the normal stoping point. It also looks like there are "keys" that appear as if they will self disengage as the lead screw advances left. Are my assumptions correct? I assume I'm missing a boat load of other items. (I'm not at the machine as I write this just looking at the parts diagram). And of course I wii be following your advice on the gib. Reassembly of keys looks like it could be interesting too. Any thoughts? I know you have already given me a great deal of time and I can probably noodle this out once I get started if you feel like taking a break from my education. I won't be able to start taking the table off for at least two weeks, darn house projects are cutting into my fun time.

Thanks again for assistance already given.

John V. Minnesota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... to remove the table on the VN12 it looks like I have to remove the right "bearing casting" for the table lead screw (my VN does not have a right side hand wheel) then appears that it would travel past the normal stoping point. It also looks like there are "keys" that appear as if they will self disengage as the lead screw advances left. Are my assumptions correct? ... Reassembly of keys looks like it could be interesting too. Any thoughts? ...
Correct. To remove the table, you need to remove the right handwheel, the Woodruff key for the handwheel and the right bearing bracket. My go-to method for removing Woodruff keys is to tightly clamp them with straight-jawed Vise-Grip pliers and rock them out. If that fails, tap against the end with a punch to break them free. Penetrating oil (not WD-40) helps as well. Stone off any burrs caused by removing the key.

There's only one key that's involved when removing the table, it's part 7628. The other two keys, both part number 6953, are internal to the forward and reverse bevel gear assemblies. The keys will stay in place when you remove the table. When you get ready to put the table back on, put a piece of tape on the front edge of the table, in line with the end of the threads on the leadscrew. Also put tape on saddle opposite the left end of the inner nut (12-620). Slide the table on from the left until the tape on the table gets close to tape on the saddle, then gentle slide the table right until you feel the end of the screw bump into the nut. Now rotate the left handwheel until the leadscrew engages the nut and begins to pull the table to the right. Continue until the tape mark on the table approaches the left side of the feed control mechanism, then slow down until you feel the leadscrew bump into key 7628, which is inside the clutch slider (12-567). Now engage the feed control lever and manually rotate the feed drive, via the knob (12-453), which sticks through the chain guard on the back of the feed gearbox, until you feed the key line up with the leadscrew. Once the key engages, you can crank the table to the right and replace the right bracket, Woodruff key and handle.

Cal,
Again, thank you. What great tips and complete procedures you have given me. I feel like you are our "Chilton " VN care and repair Manual. I am sure there are other VN owners who are learning new tips too. That said I can't wait till I get some time to take the table off and see what I have. Thanks again.

John V. Minnesota

This old VanNorman #12 is NUTS!

So I took Cal's advice and slid back the old mills table to check on the X axis feed gear oil bath. Cal warned that most were running dry and filled with dirt or metal chips.

I used a harbor freight lift table to support the mill table as I followed Cals advice in removing the table and exposing the feed gearing.

Well cal was partially right, the oil "well" in the system was indeed running dry but he was way off the mark on the dirt and swarf.

Below are the pictures of what the "well" was filled with.
eef3c968efde7c014efb1cf99b77f603.jpg

Yep, filled with Nuts. I don't know from where or how long ago, but some little critter worked very hard to get them in there whole and still in the shell.

The VN adventures continue! Just thought you folks might get a chuckle from this.

Take care all. And thanks again Cal.

John V. Minnesota

Back