VN VN no.12, serial no 12-4099, correct that to no. 12-7499

Jason,

I have to say I'm glad you asked. Somehow I transposed, what was in my mind, and it wasn't even close. I didn't write it down, certain I could remember four numbers... well20200218_125520.jpg

Can you make it out. I think it is 12-7409 or 12-7499. Sooo. I'm claiming I got most of the numbers, but the numbers were a little out of sorts. ;)

Seriously, it's a testament to the members of the site, the Van Norman folks, that they know their machines and company history. Another advertisement the Hobby Machinist.

Very cool. Thanks for the illustrations. I believe my cutter the head is the one in the bottom pic. I do not have the slotted nut (9731) or washer (9730) on the right side of dwg. I only have (2) threaded spanner rings, on the right in photo above. On the left I do not have p/n 12-754. Unless that is a bearing seal... a bearing seal is shown on the left side of my photo above, but it doesn't look like 12-754.

There is evidence that the cutter head was opened up for some reason. White seal material was slathered around bearing seal. Don't think that was original design.:cool: So, some alterations to the assembly may have been made by previous owner or it could be some design variation, I'm not familiar enough to know.
20200215_143240.jpg
Have removed one bearing race hope to remove the other this weekend and see if I can get replacement bearings next week.

20200220_121816.jpg20200215_143240.jpg20200220_121816.jpg
I was cleaning up one of the end caps on the wire brush and exposed a confirmation on the serial no. It looks like a 7, a backward 4, and then 99.

So, it's definitely 12-7499. How do I update my thread Title?

Thanks for your interest. Will keep posting.

OK! If you go to the top of your thread, you'll see a little box on the right with 3 dots & a down arrow. Hit that down arrow. Should be able to edit as needed from there!
There are many here with experience in these - I'm not 1 of them. But, I want to learn! The slotted nut (9731) & washer (9730) you mentioned on the right side is common to both early & late versions. I would venture the 2 threaded spanner rings on yours was a quick fix that also possibly does away with the 12-897 ring.
In studying the old & new versions, I believe you have the better of the 2. My opinion is based on the bearing type.
That 12-754 doesn't look like much in the drawing, but is substantial enough to support a grub screw & seems it's main purpose on the 1 side is thrust support for the bearing. I see no 'O' rings or wipers on this end of the head. So, it must also have a secondary function. Van Normans are said to be 'spitters' when in use, so, I wouldn't shy away from using a modern approach to fitting out this end.

Backwards 4 is interesting! 7499 is listed as a 1943.

Thanks Brockwood! I have updated the tread title.

Interesting assessment, it looks like 897 ring also has a set screw and it too may have been there for thrust support. Given the white material evidence of something being done to the head, I wonder if newer seals took up room for thrust collars so they were canned...? I didn't notice any unusual slop in up and down movement, but after cleaning and re-assembly we'll see.

1943 assembly worker stamping parts had a creative day! WWII peek production period?

Thanks Brockwood. Will keep posting.

I’m late to the game on this (sorry), but in my digging I have seen warnings about marking how tightly things were assembled on the spindle before taking it apart (witness marks, counts of threads exposed, etc). At this point, I believe that take-home point is “when you re-assemble, be very aware of how tight you’re getting things.” I know reassembly is likely still a ways out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

897 & from the bearing out is the same assembly / design as found on the front spindle of a car. So there must be a keyway in the spindle for the tab on the inside of 897 to fit into.

Stafants got me thinking. Sure, it is good practice to mark main bearing caps on an engine before disassembly or count the turns a tierod is screwed into the adjustment sleeve, but if parts are refurbished / remachined: then counts of threads etc are no longer of any use.

Sorry, I seem to be able to relate anything to a car.

Last edited:
Definitely a worthy consideration, if you know what your doing... of coarse I just charged in without even thinking about it. But will from this point on.
In any event, given the white material evidence of previous disassembly, one can't be certain that previous work was done with any competence.

I've run into a few life issues that are consuming too much of my time... things like work. I'm also making some mobile bases for at least four machines. In a small shop mobility is key to maximizing room and order. Problem is I'm not a fabricator. I'll get there but progress is slow and I'm experimenting with grinder, horizontal bandsaw that doesn't cut straight, solving production problems caused by my lack of skill, learning how to weld.. you get the picture.

Will keep at it...

Back