VN VAN NORMAN no 24MLA-1512-259

Getting on near 2 months & the motor is still not ready. 350,000 people in this area & there is 1 guy that does top notch motor work. His & therefor my problem is he fills his days with high dollar rush jobs for water, sewer & manufacturing. We gonna have to come up with sometin.

Brock: I have used Coleman fuel (naphtha) as a degreaser/de-oiler solvent, not too stinky or dangerous and evaporates cleanly and quickly
Flammable of course so you have to be careful
Mark

Thanks Mark. I have some of that - but was using the wife's oven degreaser. Once I'm able to wrestle the ol sump out of the bowels of this mill, I'll sure be trying that fuel for a degreaser!

Yep for the really thick nasty deposits hard to beat lye (oven cleaner)
Nice thing about the Coleman fuel is that it's easy on paint, plastics and rubber- and fingers
It's mild enough to use indoors

I've had good luck with an initial cleaning of citrus based degreaser then doing a good hot water wash with dish detergent. Then using TSP from the hardware store to boil the last bits of oil out. Has worked well on the few nasty cast iron pieces I've had trouble cleaning up good enough to paint. Of course you'll get some flash rusting. But the primer I've used works well for this.

05/12/19 to now & still no word on my sump motor. There is really only 1 motor shop in my area with real expertise, so it waits. Just as well, because I still can't see myself lifting the original pump assembly out of the mill's base. A year since back surgery & still working on strength & stamina. Just glad I am improving!

Drawbar came out beautifully!

20200126 02.jpg

Working on getting the attachment adaptor mounted. If I could just turn the years it takes me for some things to progress into days....

Looks like it's time to rebuild an arbor support.

20200317_021828561.jpg

& make a dead center as well.

04.jpg

Took the covers & spindle out for cleaning & inspection. Added oil. Now we wait to see where the oil seeps from.

20200317_032517518.jpg

The oil seeps from the outlet it is supposed to right into the bearings.

20200317 02.jpg

Now we let it continue with the spindle in place.

20200317 03.jpg

I'm lapping in the end caps in hopes they will better contain the oil seepage. It had oil in it when it arrived - but leaked out. Perhaps this will become a question of how to position it during storage? The other support has been dry & was dry the day I got it. Some other time for that.

Back