Variable Speed Atlas 6" lathe progress

minsk

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I thought it would be nice for others to see my Atlas 10100 6" conversion to a variable dc motor. I am starting with a MC 60 controller and a 2 hp dc motor. Here is a sneak peak of the control panel.I really do not want to compromise the original casting so i will probably just velcro the control box. The new control box will have the ability to do forward and reverse. The tach will show spindle speed.

latheControls.JPG

2 hp is way overkill, are you going to be making prop shafts for ships on that thing? LOL
I'm using a 1/3 hp dc motor on mine with KB controller; plenty of torque
mark
DSCN0185.JPG

2 hp is way overkill, are you going to be making prop shafts for ships on that thing? LOL
mark

a 2hp tready motor is actually like 1 hp. prop shafts...hmmmmm will the fit between centers :)

mark

where did you find a 1/3 dc motor?

Surplus, a lucky find. Servo motor of some kind- 4 brushes
You don't need to mount the control on the lathe itself- I put mine behind a panel underneath the bench in a handy spot
DSCN0187.JPG

Last edited:
Surplus, a lucky find. Servo motor of some kind- 4 brushes
You don't need to mount the control on the lathe itself- I put mine behind a panel underneath the bench in a handy spot
View attachment 286056
im actually making my st up portable.

my set is based of a 20x20 aluminum extrusion frame...grab and go if i need to

Velcro....

I just hooked up an Allen Bradley switch that I had laying around to the TECO VFD I'm using on my Seneca Falls lathe. The box already had velcro on the back so I picked up some of that fancy outdoor 15lb rated velcro from the hardware store and stuck it right on the gearbox cover. Not that I'm worried about keeping the lathe original, it just seemed easy and puts the switch right where I need it. I'm using a 1hp Baldor 3 phase motor and so far I'm very happy with the results. I don't need to make it reverse though since I already have a gearbox that does that. Will post pictures soon. Surplus store? My how I miss living in the SF Bay area with all those great ones.

Cheers,

John

i find running the motor backwards is easier for cutting off parts..

We just lost Halted specialties (where I got the motor), the last of the good surplus places. Wozniak and Jobs used to shop there.
mark

Back