Variable Speed Atlas 6" lathe progress

Got the speed sensor all hooked up for the 10100. 3d printed bracket designed in fusion360. Will put the model on my thingiverse page if any others would like so use it in their build. works awesome...just have to to figure out how to wire the tach onto the mc-60 board now.286848

Last edited by a moderator:
There's two choices when you attach files: thumbnail and full size

I switched it to full size.

Got the speed sensor all hooked up for the 10100. 3d printed bracket designed in fusion360. Will put the model on my thingiverse page if any others would like so use it in their build. works awesome...just have to to figure out how to wire the tach onto the mc-60 board now.View attachment 286848
cool bracket and build, but I'd suggest putting the tach pickup on the spindle so you can read actual spindle speed. Otherwise changing pulley ratios or using the back gear will result in a different spindle speed (what you care about really) for the same motor speed. I simply 5-min epoxied a magnet to my pick up and stuck it next to the outer spindle bearing, with another magnet on the spacer between the gear and rear bearing.

as for motor power, I can slow down my 1hp treadmill motor on my 618 with heavy cuts, though the crappy link belt will slip shortly after. The MC60 controller doesn't have as fine a response to load as a VFD would. Plus using a wide range of motor speeds to get the most of the variable speed, will considerably change the power the motor is putting out (less as speed drops)

I would probably use an eddy current sensor on the bull gear. 62X the resolution.

Finally Got all the electronics working correctly...the wall wart psu and block terminal were key in getting the tach to work nicely.

cool bracket and build, but I'd suggest putting the tach pickup on the spindle so you can read actual spindle speed. Otherwise changing pulley ratios or using the back gear will result in a different spindle speed (what you care about really) for the same motor speed. I simply 5-min epoxied a magnet to my pick up and stuck it next to the outer spindle bearing, with another magnet on the spacer between the gear and rear bearing.

as for motor power, I can slow down my 1hp treadmill motor on my 618 with heavy cuts, though the crappy link belt will slip shortly after. The MC60 controller doesn't have as fine a response to load as a VFD would. Plus using a wide range of motor speeds to get the most of the variable speed, will considerably change the power the motor is putting out (less as speed drops)
im curious what the real speed diff is... perhaps ill do a test.

you can work it out using the pulley ratios (or back gear ratio, whatever that is). A 2:1 pulley reduction with a 4000rpm motor at full speed = 2000rpm at the spindle. A 10:1 reduction at the same motor speed = 400rpm. Seems like an odd workaround when you can simply put the tach pickup on the spindle and read the speed directly.

Back