Variable Speed Micro Drill

PHPaul

Registered
Registered
I don't know how applicable to machining this is, but in my various hobbies and projects, I occasionally need to drill VERY tiny holes. Think wire-size bits and pin vise. Beyond tedious. So I decided I needed a micro drill.

vsmd1.jpg

For starters, I bought this Chinesium 12VDC motor and chuck. Chuck is good down to .3 mm! I figure for $11, what the heck, right? To my surprise, it works quite well, but it turns at about a bazillion RPM.

vsmd3.jpg

So, as the next step, I bought this (also Chinesium) variable speed DC motor controller. It uses Pulse Width Modulation (versus straight voltage control) so it provides reasonably constant torque.

vsmd2.jpg

The whole thing is powered by a 200 watt computer power supply I had laying around. I bent up a bracket to mount the controller to the power supply. It sits right above the fan on the PS and has a hole under it to provide a little extra cooling. Probably overkill no more than it'll be used, but figured it wouldn't hurt. Also added a switch to turn the PS on and off. The controller will turn the motor off with the pot all the way CCW, but again...belt and suspenders. I re-pinned the standard computer connectors as a way to plug the drill into the controller and be able to unplug it and store it separately. May also find other uses for the power supply and controller down the road.

Less than $20 and a couple of hours of my time which doesn't count cuz I had a ball doing it.

Given the price, I'd assume sleeve bearings.

The taper that the chuck seats on is held onto the motor shaft with set screws, so runout is inevitable but not horrible. Haven't measured it.

I said "micro" not "precision"...:beguiled:

Back