Variable speed

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
Anyone ever made their own variable speed pulley? I have an idea for a power feed for my mill.
The legit power feed units (cheapest I've found was $400) are too expensive, so I'll make my own.
I have been poking around for a gear reduced motor unit to work with, found a very small power winch, almost cute.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/220-440-lb-electric-cable-hoist/A-p8041840e
Like that one, but 110-220 lbs and only $99. The whole unit is about the size of my forearm. The motor is 6" long, maybe. The motor is the motor and gear drive in one small package. Perfect. I could easily strip it down, put a chain cog on it, mount it on the mill table, and bobs your uncle. However, I was variable speed. I was thinking about a variable speed pulley drive. Turn a hand crank and change the speed. Small parts, small pulleys, small belt, all in a little package.

Question, how well do you think a variable speed pulley would operate at, say, 20 rpm...
in my mind, it shouldn't be a problem, as the pulley is forced apart by the hand crank and not centrifugal force. So, it really should work at any speed.... no?

Generally you want the variable speed pulley on the motor where it has to handle less torque, then gear reduction after if necessary.

Greg

Generally you want the variable speed pulley on the motor where it has to handle less torque, then gear reduction after if necessary.

Greg
I suppose that would depend on how strong of a spring I put in. However, the mill table is pretty smooth. Not a lot of resistance there.
I can't change the motor setup.

Back