Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft

You are a better man than me.

If I turn speed and AC up that high, the whole machine jerks on one click at a time. And yep, I've broke a tool over running the handwheel.

You are a better man than me.

If I turn speed and AC up that high, the whole machine jerks on one click at a time. And yep, I've broke a tool over running the handwheel.

SP=8000 is equivalent to about 2 lead screw rotations/sec or about 1 inch/sec, but due to the short moves, it can never actually reach that speed.

DED=0 and MPGPOS=0 resets the MPG and aux encoder position to 0 just after the new position is sent to the axis. So the amount of maximum movement is set by the number of handwheel pulses that can possibly occur in one pass through the code.

next item is getting spindle speed control. Got the spindle running and encoder calibrated.

Need to connect two wires from MOCMD and CMD ground to the VFD for 0 - 10 volt analog control. The automation Direct GS2 manual shows the MOCMD wire going to terminal A1.But I am not at all clear where the CMD ground should connect. I clipped snap shots of the manual below.

wiring 1.JPGwiring 2.JPGanalog instruction.JPG

EE question:

I'd like variable speed on the VFD coolant pump. Will the galil analog out drive the 0-10 volt input for speed control on a Hitachi VFD?

Sure, you can set the PID to 0,0,0 and output a command voltage using the OF command. This is how I control the speed on my lathe spindle. If you want to do so, you can install a pot on an analog input and slave the OF to the analog input.

Just a point of interest, a centrifugal pump does not work very well at low speeds, a positive displacement pump would be a much better choice for variable speed. But won't hurt to try it.

I think you are talking about using an axis. I am out of those. Camsoft talks about using an analog input as an analog output. I do not see the same thing in the galil commands. More importantly, nothing about whether this voltage can be used to drive something.

clip from Camosft manual
ANALOG
Provides a way to control analog output and read analog input. There are two methods to control analog output. Method 1 is to use the parameter OUT to issue voltage to the specified axis. Method 2 is to use the predefined analog output devices as defined in the CNCSETUP.EXE program. Valid device numbers are ANALOG1 through ANALOG8. To use Method 2, omit the OUT parameter. To control analog inputs, use the parameter IN to read analog voltages. The most common application is to read potentiometers, sensor signals or dials that control feedrate or spindle speed. The general use for the first parameter is to specify the axis No. to send voltages out or specify the analog input No. to read voltages in. For the second parameter, either specify the voltage to send out or give a variable to store the voltage read in. The third parameter would be either IN or OUT.
EXAMPLE: ANALOG3 \20;IN

<EDIT>
On re reading this, I need an axis to do an anlog out. Scratch this

Last edited:
If I'm translating that correctly, I think the analog out command would have to be controlling a Galil analog output (axis). I think it would be impossible to output a signal from the Galil analog input. They are two completely different chips.

However it might be possible to have a separate analog output module controlled by the Camsoft program, maybe an OPTO-22 device? https://www.opto22.com/products/g4da7

Or just hook a pot to the Hitachi and control it manually.

More creeping elegance...

I'm thinking a load meter on the spindle would be nice. Got plenty of spare analog inputs. I see the VFD uses the same ground as already connected to Galil CMDgrnd for spindle speed. Galil has a separate analog ground. I just checked with my VOA meter, these two grounds are separate. If i run a wire from the VFD's ACM to galil analog ground, these grounds would be connected.

How would you wire this?

load meter.JPG

Back