Vectrac CNC Knee mill refit from Fanuc 0M to Camsoft

Hi Karl,

Looks like you have the wiring on the ICM-1900 side correct. Confirm this by issuing a SHX command and see if the LED on the Crydom comes on. If the logic is inverted, then exchange the 7407 chip for a 7406 to invert the logic. Normally these chips are shipped with the the ICM-1900 so you should have some kicking around.

On the DYN4 side it's a little more complicated.

If you are using the internal 14V supply, you need to connect pin 4 to pin 17. Your connections to the Crydom are correct

WooHoo! Life in the new servos. Guess you cannot see motion but it is running in front of the computer in the pic.
Don't think I've mentioned DMM 1.8 KW servos and DYN4 amps were selected for all three axis. http://www.dmm-tech.com/
Quite a bit of wiring was done in the bottom of the cabinet for the Galil 1900 connect module to the DMM servos.
Next, I'll test if Galil commands can at least move the motors. After this works, the servos can be mounted permanently.

The amp enable circuit is not working - not sure of the problem. Looks like I can proceed anyway as the amps can be set to always be enabled. Will have to get back to this in the future.

That's a lot of motor. Not going to have to worry about running out of power. :grin:

I couldn't get the AEN to work the way I wanted it to either. I just wired my enable to an output.

That's a good suggestion. First, I got to find where the heck I put the logic probe. One more search tomorrow, then buy another if it don't show. Then it will be sure to turn up . Bet I'm the only fella on H-M that misplaces his tools :)

I haven't kept up this thread. Sorry, life gets in the way sometimes.

I had an ABSOLUTELY AWFUL time getting the servos installed and running correctly. Would have given up on the whole project without the assisstance of Jim Dawson. I will bet he is tired of my constant requests.
The issue was run aways. NOT good with big powerful servos. Had more than one problem so fixing one thing didn't help. I'd put it back then try the other, so that trial did not work either. Just for a quick summary:

All the DMM servos want to run what I call backward. When finished, every axis has either reversed encoder or reversed axis direction in the Galil software setup.

The used Galil ICM was defective on the axis I selected to try first. had to replace it. Shopping for parts on eBay does have its disadvantages.
I installed an update to the Galil card and could not get it to respond after the update, so i went to a very old card. Never did get this one to run. luckily, another one came up on eBay. ( I sent the first card to Jim and he could find nothing wrong - then it worked for me when returned) The machine is still running with card number three.

There is a parameter titled max speed. I had set this to a low value for testing. The title of this is extremely poor, it is actually the center of the voltage dead band for servo drift. A value of 65 is for 0 volts.

Biggest issue was with my misunderstanding of how Galil enable/disable should work. I thought is was a 5 volt output. it is acutally an open collector. Wasted a huge amount of time here. I promise to never make this particular mistake again. For DMM servos, connect the sevo enable input though a 2K resistor to the Galil enable output if using external 24 volt to power the servo's enable input. Then remove the RP1 resistor pack on the ICM. this results in backward function. So exchange the 7406 IC for a 7407.

With all this finally resolved, the servos were tuned first under DMM. then again with Galil WSDK.
All the limit switches and home swithes were connected and debugged. An input from the Estop was connected to the galil card. outputs to the spindle knee and coolant were connected and debugged.
Camsoft was kind enough to provide a basic .cbk for this machine. A couple days making minor program edits to this .cbk has the machine up and running WOOHOO!

The machine could certainly be run as is. A great many stop at this point and go to work. But that's not the final goal for this machine. When complete the control will be better than even the newest commercial controls. I can say that because it will work exactly as I want it to.
Screen shots of the DMM servo setups are attached, mostly as a personal backup.

Attachments

• Z DMM settings final 2019 04 11.JPG
    Z DMM settings final 2019 04 11.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 2
  • X servo DMM settings 2019 04 10.JPG
    X servo DMM settings 2019 04 10.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 2
  • X servo DMM auto tune results 2019 04 10.JPG
    X servo DMM auto tune results 2019 04 10.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Y axis DMM servo settings 2019 04 07.JPG
    Y axis DMM servo settings 2019 04 07.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'm working on my control panel button layout and have a question...

First pics of what the control panel looks like on my lathe and mill.CHNC lathe panel.jpgmill panel.jpg

Here's a preliminary layout for the Vectrax

panel layout preliminary.jpg

I took a piece of scrap and populated with the parts I have. Help to be sure its right before cutting on the enclosure.

new mill preliminary panel.jpg

Now for my question. I would like to order a printed sign with the text for each button out of PVC or another durable plastic. Bond it to the enclose and then drill all the holes for each component. Who could do this sign and what exactly what should I ask for? I see sign companies for things like political adds, etc. but found no one that would take a .dxf file for exact placement of the letters.

Thanks, Jim. Dunno what I'd do without you on this project. I'll keep that engraving plastic in mind for the next job. This particular job is getting a bit over schedule.

Why not engrave it with the cnc?
Could paint or powder coat first to make the lettering stand out better.

Yep, once the vectrax runs, I can engrave. Got to get it going first. The old excello just breaks small endmills and engraving bits.

I suppose if the quote comes back out a this world I will re think it.

Back