Vehicle circulation water pump housing built, need advice.

@GoceKU

I have had great luck melting aluminum with a propane powered burner I built like this:
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oliverburner1.html
a simple design and full plans at that site.

My melting pot is an old tractor piston sleeve with a plate welded on the bottom.
My "furnace" is a pile of fire bricks that I set up as required and tear down when cool.

-brino

I'll do some more experimenting till i managed to make castings to machine on my machines whenever i have some free time.

Today i continue with this housing, first i center drill it and drill it with 16,8 mm all the way thru then i drill it 41,5 mm deep with 30 mm drill bit then i started with the boring bar i use an indicator and stopped every cat 0,4 mm short of the previous this way i made the taper to follow the taper on the pump impeller then i cut the groove for the seal to seal, then i made a nipple for the outlet side next i need to weld and drill the port, more to come.
DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0002.JPG

Today i continued with working on this housing, just as i weld the outlet nipple got a call about a guy selling an webasto unit with the pump i'm needing, so i went and bought the complete unit and when i tested the pump is not working, try taking it apart and find that is sealed induction motor with burn electrics and coils, second thought was i'll replace the motor only but as is an induction motor there is no seals i can't use it at all, back to the original pump build and i had a hell of a time drilling it at an angle, you can see my setup for holding my taper drill bit with an old drill press spindle and a hand drill, as last thing i painted it in primer to stop it rusting but the paint gun had some old paint and paint looks ugly but should protect it from rusting.
DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0010.JPGDSC_0006.JPG DSC_0002.JPG

Last edited:
Today i assemble the pump and tried to test it and the motor was struggling as soon as the pump primed the rpm dropped in half and the motor got over 100 degree celsius in less then 10 min, and the power counsopson went to 8 amps, so new plan is to make it belt driven and gear down to gain torque and lower the rpm, more to come.

Today i assemble the pump and tried to test it and the motor was struggling as soon as the pump primed the rpm dropped in half and the motor got over 100 degree celsius in less then 10 min, and the power counsopson went to 8 amps, so new plan is to make it belt driven and gear down to gain torque and lower the rpm, more to come.

Today i've spent some time reworking my previous coupling, first i chunk up the water pump in the lathe, i put the jaws on the flange that not sealing, and the 3 fins are contacting the jaws so i took it easy, made light cuts to make it round, then used a very sharp HSS tool to cut off the old coupling and make the belts groves, then i made a pulley for the motor and used couple of small screws to secure it as last i vent in the big garage and put couple of tack welds to hold them to a piece of pipe, and test it it now the motor doesn't getting that hot, and draws its normal 4,9 amps but is very loud, sound like a small kompressor, i've noticed the motor shaft has some runout and makes the whole assembely to vibrate, i'm very busy next couple of days but i'll try at list to get the heating unit install in the car and do some more testing before i install the pump it in my car, more to come.
DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0017.JPG

I'll have to go to work on the weekend so my plan to dedicate my time to finish this and couple other projects is not going to happen, but i still have an hour or two to spare at the end of each day, so today i started to install the heating unit, first looked around and try to place it in the engine bay where there is room, and only place i found is where this plastic box was sitting that use to house the engine ecu, so i removed it, its an mechanical diesel no ecu needed, and started to make the brackets, the first one i made is not visible but i used 40mm flat iron and band it and put couple of holes to bolt up, for the second i had an bracket for mercedes b class so i cut it in half and weld 25mm flat bar to attach in nearby ground bolt hole, then i used an 90 degree elbow for the exhaust from another unit to redirect the exhaust, which i still need to finish running to the bottom of the car and install a silencer, then i cut back the air filter assembly and fitted it to the unit so that part is finished, then i made a new bracket for the fuel pump and found perfectly located bolt hole in the radiator support and bolted it, lastly i removed the entire unit painted the brackets and put it back together in the car, i still have lots of things to connect and install to make this project finished.
DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0020.JPG DSC_0016.JPG

A lot has happened with this project last couple of weeks, i realized, i can't use the pump i've built, because of the power consumption it will drain my battery in no time, so after looking for some time, i bought two more webasto units and one had an working circulation pump, so i started with mounting that pump, and began the plumbing, i used many coolant hoses and aluminium pipes to make the connections for the coolant system, and used heat resistant insulation, then i plumed in the fuel filter via the bleeder screw, used a small banjo bolt and install inline diesel fuel filter, then i used stainless flex pipe and made the exhaust, and after i installed and tested it i realised that there just is not enough space, the unit itself produces a lot of heat and it will melt my headlight and core support,radiator, intercooler, so at the end i dismounted the unit all together and returned the engine bay to stock, i know if i keep it in the car i'll try to insolation it and end up burning down the car, next i'll like to look in to maybe installing a block heater if there is room .
DSC_0024.JPGDSC_0020.JPGDSC_0016.JPGDSC_0018.JPGDSC_0019.JPGDSC_0025.JPGDSC_0028.JPG

Back