Verify O/A setup - Need a double-check

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Setting up the O/A to attempt learning to braze.
I pitched the original 10-mile long hose and replaced it with a 25' one that I picked up at Northern.
I'm going with the smaller torch head, I'm benching the cutting torch until I can find someone to go over and make sure it is safe.
I double-checked with my Better-Half and made sure the insurance premiums were paid up, and then fired up the torch, check the regulators for any abnormal behaviour and they are good, heated up a piece of scrap and then shut it down.

I have the Flashbacks now and want to make sure I'm installing them in the correct location.

Since the check mark is on 'Regulator Style', I'm assuming they are to be installed between the regulator and the hose.
1212181811C.jpg

Torch_06_r.jpg...Torch_14_r.jpg...Torch_11_r.jpg...Torch_12_r.jpgTorch_01_r.jpg...Torch_15_r.jpg

Nice victor J28 torch. Yes, the flashbacks go between the regulator and hose. Check out www.Tinmantech.com, he has lots of torch info and some excellent videos on brazing and welding. You may also want to go with the smaller hoses, the large ones can cause fatigue if you use them a lot. Tim

It's a good idea to open the acetylene only a half turn or so. That way one can shut down the gas quickly if the need arises. I open the
oxygen all the way to the stop. Also it is best to keep the acetylene cylinder vertical if you are hauling it. Also, a lot of shop work can be done with
propane and oxygen, much less expensive.

I've added flashbacks at the torch end as well. When starting the torch make sure you have a good acetylene flow, otherwise you can have fire creep up the torch. Shops will use propane, it doesn't work as well, but I haven't used enough gas over the years to even bother thinking about it.

Check with soapy water around the regulators, diaphragms age.

I like flashbacks at the handle - as close to the flame as possible. Everything behind is safe, well as long as you keep your hose away from your work zone. Speaking of hose, I'd have to replace yours. Looking rough. Your gas supplier should be able to service your regulators.

2nd sentence, I replaced the hose even before firing it up.
Went as short as Northern had in stock. Yep-yep, the hose that was on it was pretty sad.
Forgot to mention that it passed the soap and water test. Going to do it again after I install the flash thingies.
I'll have to go after a set for the torch end next.

I'm not even sure I can get these bottles refilled. I got the set dirt cheap, no papers, so if I get screwed over again, I'll still have regs, hose, and torch head.
I also still have another tank of acetylene from the other set where I got screwed on the oxygen tank when I took it get it refilled.
After that I'll go to propane.

Thanks gang for all the insights.

If one place wont fill them, take it to another, just pay for a hydrostat...they tried that lease **** with me, paid for the hydrostat and their tune changed. I went with Airgas, norinco, western states, Air liquide, and several others to get what I needed.

In Canada, they have serial #s and expiry dates. By "purchasing" Air Liquide bottles, it's always just exchange. My son was given a large green, I forgot which company is green, O2 bottle. Of course ,when he moved out it was dad's problem. I took it in hoping it might be privately owned and be able to swap it for a Tri-mix. no-go, at least I got rid of it.

Back