Vertical attachment for Burke #4

dgehricke

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience with the Vertical attachment and disassembly and changing the bronze gear ? I ask because I have never taken this apart and I believe it is turning in the wrong direction, any inside info (pun intended) on its workings would be appreciated.
dgehricke

Why do you think it is turning in the wrong direction? I answered you on the yahoo group too. You can mount the vertical attachment from either side I just happen to have mine mounted to the right of the drive spindle and overarm, I do this because I am right handed and it just feels right for mr to turn the handles with my right hand. But it could be flipped and that would also make it easier to read the degree marks on the attachment.

Hi Greg,
Thanks for taking the time, I installed a cutter in the vertical attachment and when I tried to use it it would not cut,on closer inspection it looked like the cutter was turning in the wrong direction.
I was thinking that possibly the bronze gear was in the head backwards or reversed for some reason, but I'm not sure I've never had it apart. I just filled it with grease and I dread taking it apart and cleaning out the grease only to find
that its not possible for the gear to be turned.I have had this head for years but never really used it and its also getting heavier every year I get older. I store it upside down on the overarm so I don't have to be fighting the
overarm and the vertical attachment and the eccentric bushing at the same time. Its one of those attachments that are best left attached and in place. I keep mine mounted on the right side also for the same reasons.
I almost always work with the Burke in the horizontal BUT I have a small blemish or blowout on the table and I was going to repair it yesterday that is when I discovered the problem.I was going to use the attachment too cut out the
spot that needed a new piece of cast iron inserted.
I have all the literature and info on the Burke but there is nothing about the workings of the vertical attachment. Any help or additional info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Wally G
dgehricke

Well that's a weird one, I don't think the gears can be put in backwards. I think what I might do is shoot a short video of mine running and then we can compare if the main arbor is turning the same direction. Does your mil have forward and reverse? Mine is wired for forward only.

Greg,
Mine is also wire for one direction only I even installed a Dayton drum but no luck with that to date. I have been working on it all morning while my motor is CCW rotation the table travels to the left and the vertical attachment turns CCW as well. I'm about to eat a small lunch and then change the motor rotation in the stuffing box and I'll note the direction of the table and the vertical attachment.
I also was going to make a small video of this and post it,I want every one else to be as confused as I am. I will make the video and post it later this afternoon.I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again for the help.
Regards
Wally G

I turned mine on and checked the rotation of the main horizontal spindle arbor. It turns ccw.

Greg,
That means that your vertical attachment will turn CCW as well.
I just finished with mine and it does indeed turn CCW and after I switched the leads in the motor to run CW rotation the Vertical attachment also runs in the same direction as the motor rotation.I will look into setting up a micro switch and the possibility of changing rotation. I did make a short video but I have to check and see how to transfer them to my Mac and what software I need then I will post them.
Greg Thanks again for the assist.
Regards
Wally G
dgehricke

Greg,
Here goes nothing I will attempt to upload 2 short videos no luck I keep getting Security Error thes may be to large and it may need some compression software I'll try VLC and see if that works.
dgehricke

I think we have to make a youtube video and then post the link here. That's how I have done mine anyway. And I honestly didn't pay attention to what way the vert attachment was turning, I guess I should have paid attention to that. I do know I have never had a problem running an end mill in it.

This is my last attempt with posting the video then I'll go to youtube.So I'm still having the security error problem so I put it on youtube he's the link
<
>
dgehricke

Back