Vertical bandsaw cutting

SE18

Active User
Registered
I normally use my HF 7x12 to cut in the horizontal with bi-metal blade. Love it. However, the other day for the first time I had to use it in the vertical position and found it not so good. Difficult to push feed by hand and flimsy table supplied with the bandsaw were the beefs. I went online but couldn't find anyone who modified the table or built a new one. But there's tons of info on 4x6 mods. Has anyone toyed with the 7x12? Thanks

I've been poking around the internet and still haven't found anything related to my question but I did find this nifty modification that I plan to make on the holding parts. Maybe this could help others?

I went online but couldn't find anyone who modified the table or built a new one.

You have an opportunity to be the first to do it . :) Time to break some new ground.

You could easily make a bigger and stronger table. I used 1/4 inch mild steel for the table (mine is about 12 x 12) and welded
on a piece of 1/8 x 3/4 material all the way around. I know what you mean about push feeding. One could rig up a threaded
crank feed without too much difficulty. One needs it for 3/8 inch thick material or thicker. My saw is home built but a person could
adapt a home brew table to any HV saw I would think. View media item 95185

The band saw video looks like a handy thing. Thanks!

I've got a MSC 7x12 & have had the same problem. The flimsy sheet metal table & support arm for vertical mode sucks & can easily be bent out of square. I've been been meaning to make a new table out of 1/4 steel plate but haven't got around to it.

I use a push stick for thicker material on the vertical saw. I have several different pieces of flat bar and aluminum left overs. Allows you to push straight at the blade with your fingers safe.

I use a push stick for thicker material on the vertical saw. I have several different pieces of flat bar and aluminum left overs. Allows you to push straight at the blade with your fingers safe.

Interesting! Yes, I do the same with a piece of wood. Now that we recognize the problem, we need to
make up an adjustable feed system. I have a lot of threaded rod just waiting for an application. A simple
clamp to the table with a crank wheel would keep us out of harms way.

Last edited:
I've got a MSC 7x12 & have had the same problem. The flimsy sheet metal table & support arm for vertical mode sucks & can easily be bent out of square. I've been been meaning to make a new table out of 1/4 steel plate but haven't got around to it.

Yes on the 1/4 inch plate....I have been very happy with mine!

Interesting! Yes, I do the same with a piece of wood. Now that we recognize the problem, we need to
make up an adjustable feed system. I have a lot of threaded rod just waiting for an application. A simple
clamp to the table with a crank wheel would keep us out of harms way.

It's best to have both a horizontal and vertical bandsaw. The horizontal is great for cutting tubing and large bar stock and can be started and left to cut unattended while you do other work where the vertical is perfect for thin materials and small parts since they are hand held. I have cut shapes out of big chunks of 1/2" plate but it's slow going, that's when a push stick is great so you can put more pressure on the cut. I use the vertical saw 10 to 1 over the horizontal but they both have their uses and I wouldn't want to do without either.

Back