Vertical IC engine

Because the flywheel was painted it was so slippery that it was almost impossible to spin the engine over. I know I am getting old so I had a younger strapping fellow try his luck at spinning it over and he was able to do it after a few tries. We decided it just wouldn't do so I sand blasted the paint off, cut a deep knurl on the outer rim and sprayed the bare metal with a clear finish.
GEDC5212s.jpg

That solved that problem and Robert that got rid of the gold paint. :)

Next problem was the carburetor was moving when you adjusted the throttle. I made a bracket to hold the end of the carb in place so that problem is solved.
GEDC5215s.jpg

I had a bad oil leak issue when I first ran the engine. So I installed a breather in the block and that took care of that.
GEDC5216s.jpg

A couple of Videos.

The engine starts easily but the throttle needs some work and I think the carb may just be too big for the engine.
I need to get a shorter fan belt/o-ring as it is dancing around some.
I will make some kind of wood base and maybe something for it too run.

Thanks to all that followed this build with your comments and likes.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I have been experimenting with different carbs over the last couple of months as I wasn't happy with the transition from idle to high speed.
This is a Traxxas TRA4033 on the engine now and I am very impressed with it. The fuel adjustment for both low and high speed operation were very precise and predictable. A joy to setup.
I had to make modifications to the throttle linkage and carb bracket to install it.
It likes to idle around 1000rpms and the response is greatly improved.

I made a mounting base with rubber feet for the engine but unlike the other engines I have built it doesn't want to stay in one place. Any thing over an idle and it wants to bounce away as is evident from the camera tripod vibrating and the fuel in the gas tank. It is a higher compression engine with a longer vertical stroke so that is to be expected.

Thanks for looking
Ray

You could create some device that has a hand full of complicated looking things that move to create a clever counterweight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

thanks tq60 do you have any ideas?

Ray

$5.00 Flywheel

A few weeks ago I was in Walmart in the sporting goods department when I spied some weights. They weighted 5 lbs and made of what I hoped was cast iron. The cost was a little over $5ea so I thought what the heck and got one. I had some time so I tried a few cuts on the lathe and sure enough they were cast iron. Both of the faces and the rim cut well with only one 1/8" void on one side. I turned it down to 6" in diameter and cut a 7 degree taper in the center of the hub for a locking collar. After cutting away the sides to get rid of the numbers they ended up at about 0.615 wide.

GEDC5226s.jpg

I couldn't help myself I had to install it on the engine.
The video is not very good as I had not planned on the engine running this well and I didn't film the transition to high speed but it is still smooth.

650 rpms is at least 400 rpms slower than before and I think I can get to 500 rpms with a little tuning.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back