Vertical spindle milling adaptor for lathe.

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My first project is a vertical spindle milling adaptor for my lathe. A number of people have said I'm crazy to contemplate this, but as I don't any where to put a mill I don't have much choice. This will take quite a while, probably a couple of years, as I don't get a lot of shop time.

The plan is to build a column that will attach to the lathe bed in much the same way that a tailstock attaches.. With chuck removed a pulley is attached to the spindle with a draw bar. I intend to make the pulley a two speed one so as to enhance the 6 speeds that I already have from the gearbox. I can get more speeds from the motor pulley, but it's a little difficult to get at. I'm not interested in a new 3Ph motor and VFD.

I have had some suggestions that I should use a separate motor, but I can't see the advantage.

From the top of the column an arm will extend out above the bed, a head will be attached to the arm and a quill and spindle will be attached to the head. I have already purchased a quill and spindle assembly from the people that made my lathe. The agent in Melbourne had it in stock and they wanted to get rid of it so I got it at a pretty good price, It takes an MT3 arbor, with 16mm drawbar. I have also bought a few basic milling cutting tools like a 50mm boring head and an ER 32 collet set.

I have nearly finished making the column, so it's time I started this post, with a couple of pics to show progress so far.

The first pic shows drilling the hole in the base for the hold down bolt, near the bottom edge of the base can be seen the beginning of a slot to locate on the front V of the bed.

The second pic shows the cutting of the lightening holes in the column, the blue cutter is HSS and did a great job cutting all 16 holes without showing any sign of wear.

The third pic is making a a rather elaborate clamping device that I had to make to hold the column on its side to the cross slide, as I have only a couple of tapped holes in it.

The forth pic shows that clamping device being set up.

The fifth pic shows with almost all 16 of the lightning holes having been bored.

DSCN8104.JPGDSCN8106.JPGDSCN8111.JPGDSCN8113.JPGDSCN8121.JPG

Hey Bob, any updates on this project? It's been a while!

Hey Bob, any updates on this project? It's been a while!
Sadly no. Been too busy Bryan. As my wife began recovering from her stroke, we discovered caravanning. It was something we had talked about before, but it was always going to be some where in the future.

Then one day she said "we are running out of time, lets go look at caravans". We have now done about 50,000km in our 4x4 with van in tow. I do however hope to get back to the mill soon.

I hope your wife's recovery continues to be successful. How nice it must be to explore and have the time to do so especially with your wife. Those days are long off on the horizon for me. Maybe in 20 years if I'm lucky!

Here is hoping you get some shop time for yourself soon!

I hope your wife's recovery continues to be successful. How nice it must be to explore and have the time to do so especially with your wife. Those days are long off on the horizon for me. Maybe in 20 years if I'm lucky!

Here is hoping you get some shop time for yourself soon!
Thanks Bryan, she, Judi has come a long way in her recovery. 5 years is a long time when you're waiting for it to happen, but looking back it passed quite quickly, I guess because you are always busy.

Judi is now driving again, although it has to be an auto, and with a spinner knob on the steering. She also recently got her scuba license back. But she will never ride her motorcycle again. That was very sad, as we met on bikes 25 years ago. So riding has been a big part of our lives together.

We did a major trip on our motor cycles, 2 Harley Davidsons, in 2015 around USA and Canada did 26,000Km. over 8 months. travelled through every state, although some only briefly.

Incidently my daughter currently living in Colorado, is planning to move to Vermont in about a year, so we may get to meet, when I get over there to see her.

Thanks Bryan for your kind thoughts. I hope all is well with you.

DownunderBob.

Back