Very Early South Bend 13

Gorderfarms

Registered
Registered
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I have recently bought this 1914 southbend 13x7 at auction. SN 4783 .Looks to be pretty nice shape and complete. Came with face plate and four jaw chuck. Lantern style tool post, lathe dogs, dead centers, and mt3 drill chuck, and change gears.
There is a couple bad gears in the apron. It works but you can see a change in the cut when using automatic feed. The gears are cast with number 13-76 and 13-86. Is there parts for this vintage machine anywhere?

Almost certainly 16 DP, and the last number may well be number of teeth. Look up change gears in the Boston catalog (stiff drink in hand) or try ebay. Unless it's the worm drive.

I've got "most" of a salvaged apron, in pieces. Might have those in a bin somewhere, from a slightly later model (1919). Count the teeth and send me a note, picture, or some other info.

That is a big, beautiful lathe!
Good for you for taking on this machine as a project.

I saw a similar one here locally that the store could not sell.......they ended up scraping the legs and bed and have the headstock stuffed under a bench.
If you want I can check to see if they have the apron/carriage and if it has equivalent gears.

-brino

image.jpeg I believe the numbers cast into the gears directly correspond to the part number. As I have seen in the 1914 How To Run a Lathe those gears are numbered 76 and 86 respectively in the apron parts diagram.

image.png
So it is the rack pinion gear (76) and the auto apron idler gear(86) that are damaged. Missing two consecutive teeth each. Must have been crashed at one time. There is also very old repairs to half nut (72) and lead screw bracket, but seems to have been done very well. I would be interested in any parts that will work with this machine. You never know when mechanical failure will occur.

The early lathes always look so elegant. Looks like a nice find. Thanks for posting pictures.
Martin W

The early lathes always look so elegant. Looks like a nice find. Thanks for posting pictures.
Martin W

Hi Gorderfarms,

It is "just" a few missing teeth, you could consider repairing them by brazing in some filler metal and then re-cutting the gaps.
There are a few post here about it and a great video from Keith Rucker has a two-part video:

-brino

okay, here's the other Keith Rucker video I remembered but could not find earlier:

in this one he brazes in filler material for the missing gear teeth and then re-cuts the gaps.

-brino

Last edited:
Can you post pictures of your drive arrangement? I need to power a 16" gap bed SBL (ser #3273) of similar vintage, and I'm looking for ideas.

Back