[4]

Very Stuck Glue Chuck!

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

macardoso

Brass
Registered
So I tried using a superglue chuck on my lathe for the first time to do some post parting work on thin washer-like parts. The first one went pretty well and I was able to pry the part off the glue chuck with a razor blade and a little acetone, but the second sat much flatter and I couldn't remove it from the chuck for the life of me.

I ended up heating it on my gas stove (on high!) for 30 min, and then a 2 hour soak in acetone before going back to work with the razor blade. I barely managed to pry the part off. Couldn't believe how secure this method is. I won't worry about cutting forces in the future!

Last edited:

markba633csi

Platinum
Registered
Depending on the surface area of the parts, you might could try something like wax to stick them on- easier to remove
M

macardoso

Brass
Registered
Great Idea. I've seen a few videos of people using pitch (namely Clickspring) and it seems to hold well. That would have probably been ideal here.

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
NYC CNC uses blue painter's masking tape with super glue. The masking tape is applied to the base and super glue used to stick the part to the tape. The part can be removed by peeling the part and tap off the base. The tape and super glue is then exposed for removal by scraping and/or acetone.

I haven't tried this myself so I can't personally attest to its holding ability but there are some videos out there of some fairly aggressive machining using this method.

macardoso

Brass
Registered
I've seen that and have been planning to use it on the mill. I think any parts on the lathe will need to be done that way too from now on.

rgray

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
When I've used super glue on a tapered mandrel, a little heat from a propane torch releases it easily.
I fact I found I can't get to aggressive cutting the part as the heat will release it. Flood coolant cured that.

Surface area is much smaller, that plays a part.
If I do it right there is nothing required on a tapered mandrel. I've missed the mark a time or two.

whitmore

Registered
Depending on the surface area of the parts, you might could try something like wax to stick them on...
For gem grinding, jeweler's dop wax is a standard adhesive;
<https://www.riogrande.com/product/green-dop-wax/201059>
Like sealing wax, it's now a specialty product, but used to be widely available.
Jewelers also use carving-grade waxes, probably not very good as adhesives, so 'jewelers wax' isn't a great
search string.

kaolsen1728

Registered
Techbuy on the practical machinist forum used loctite 380 BlackMax for this purpose.

Forty Niner

Registered
Watchmakers often use shellac to hold items in/on wax chucks. It is easy on and easy off.

chips&more

Active User
Registered
I have very good luck just putting the super glued thing in boiling water. Only takes a minute and it comes apart. This is of course, if hot boiling water will not damage anything…Dave

macardoso

Brass
Registered
I'll have to experiment with some different adhesives and method to remove the part. A little divot to pry with a screwdriver would have been very useful too! Thanks for all the idea everyone. BTW, Gorilla brand superglue (not the gel) is some really tough stuff if you ever need high strength bonds:)

WalterC

Registered
If you had super glued a hook that supported you over a cliff, it would have come apart.

I use acetone. But you have to soak it well using a rag wrapped up to keep it from evaporating too fast.

[5] [7]