Very Stuck Glue Chuck!

macardoso

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
So I tried using a superglue chuck on my lathe for the first time to do some post parting work on thin washer-like parts. The first one went pretty well and I was able to pry the part off the glue chuck with a razor blade and a little acetone, but the second sat much flatter and I couldn't remove it from the chuck for the life of me.

I ended up heating it on my gas stove (on high!) for 30 min, and then a 2 hour soak in acetone before going back to work with the razor blade. I barely managed to pry the part off. Couldn't believe how secure this method is. I won't worry about cutting forces in the future!

Last edited:
Depending on the surface area of the parts, you might could try something like wax to stick them on- easier to remove
M

Great Idea. I've seen a few videos of people using pitch (namely Clickspring) and it seems to hold well. That would have probably been ideal here.

NYC CNC uses blue painter's masking tape with super glue. The masking tape is applied to the base and super glue used to stick the part to the tape. The part can be removed by peeling the part and tap off the base. The tape and super glue is then exposed for removal by scraping and/or acetone.

I haven't tried this myself so I can't personally attest to its holding ability but there are some videos out there of some fairly aggressive machining using this method.

I've seen that and have been planning to use it on the mill. I think any parts on the lathe will need to be done that way too from now on.

When I've used super glue on a tapered mandrel, a little heat from a propane torch releases it easily.
I fact I found I can't get to aggressive cutting the part as the heat will release it. Flood coolant cured that.

Surface area is much smaller, that plays a part.
If I do it right there is nothing required on a tapered mandrel. I've missed the mark a time or two.

Depending on the surface area of the parts, you might could try something like wax to stick them on...

For gem grinding, jeweler's dop wax is a standard adhesive;
<https://www.riogrande.com/product/green-dop-wax/201059>
Like sealing wax, it's now a specialty product, but used to be widely available.
Jewelers also use carving-grade waxes, probably not very good as adhesives, so 'jewelers wax' isn't a great
search string.

Techbuy on the practical machinist forum used loctite 380 BlackMax for this purpose.

Watchmakers often use shellac to hold items in/on wax chucks. It is easy on and easy off.

Back