VFD 1HP

Dynahoe Dave

Registered
Registered
Continuing with fixing up the wiring on my Bridgeport - trying to arrange all the klugey pieces of 3 phase converter, revers / stop start, etc.
It came with a H.A.S. phase converter, which I understand reduces the effective HP.

Found these - Mitsubishi FR-D720S-042-NA
single phase in, Variable frequency out, 3 phase for 1HP.
Remote start / stop / direction.

Looks like a decent unit for my 1HP J head series1 mill.
So much neater. And more flexible.

That will work. Many choose a higher VFD horsepower rating than the motor rating, so it does not work as hard, and is more flexible for using with other machines down the line. In my case, my surface grinder has a 1.5 hp motor. I could have got a VFD with that rating, but rather bought a 3 hp VFD from the same Chinese eBay seller for $10 more, slightly over $100 delivered. It works fine, no issues and will be more adaptable to new equipment and could be easier to sell down the line, and might bring a higher resale value at that time. Again, your idea will work, and the Mitubishi might be a more robust unit, just my $0.02.

I've done a couple control setups for the Chinese VFDs now, not much to them, 3 position switch for FWD/REV/STOP (or 2 position if you don't need reverse), 5k pot for speed control. Adjust a few settings, and you're done. Mine are all 2HP units, even though the Bridgeport motor is 1HP and the power feed is 1/8HP. The lower rated units were only a few bucks cheaper, so I went with the size I already had for the belt grinder. That way, they are all the same should there be a problem. I haven't used a Mitsubishi brand VFD, but I doubt you will have any problem with it. A possible advantage for some people using a 1HP VFD would be that there are some that work from 120V power. The higher rated units need 220V.

Mitsubishi makes good stuff, I have one of their pickup trucks (1988 mighty max) still running
M

I got one of the Mitsubishi units on the way.
Thank you for the information.
There are loads of adjustable settings on the thing.

Back