• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

VFD advice

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Pete262

Swarf
Registered
Hiya machist world....fitting VFD to my old mini mill, plus want to add spindle rpm montior,.... montior needs 12 volt surply,..simple transformer, me thinks,...
Should I use separate mains spur ? Think heard someone say VFD should have separate mains supply....

Can if needed run new cable from mains panel.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Pete

macardoso

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Your VFD can be connected to your electrical supply anywhere (it does not need a separate run from your breaker) if there is appropriate circuit protection. This can either be accomplished by adding a new breaker in your distribution box, or by adding a supplemental breaker next to the drive. It should be sized at 125% of the motor Full Load Amps (FLA).

As far as the monitor supply, you need to check if it is 12V AC or DC. If it is AC, then a transformer is acceptable, if it is DC then you will need a power supply. Small 12V supplies can be had cheaply from Automation Direct.

Mike

Pete262

Swarf
Registered
"macardoso, cheers, motor and VFD bought as package, from local company after breaking to organial motor to my milling machine,...so that setup is working good,

Just wanting to be able to monitor the spindle l speed, to comprove tool life, and better compent making

On trying the rpm meter gauge, not reading zero with spindle then "pop" then nothing on readout...so it's broke! Replacement not to expensive but if it's not wired right.... could be just wasting time, money...so that's want trying to sort out

macardoso

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
On trying the rpm meter gauge, not reading zero with spindle then "pop" then nothing on readout...so it's broke! Replacement not to expensive but if it's not wired right.... could be just wasting time, money...so that's want trying to sort out
If you post the make and model, we can look at your wiring setup. Maybe it was a random failure, but more likely the wiring is wrong.

Pete262

Swarf
Registered
If you post the make and model, we can look at your wiring setup. Maybe it was a random failure, but more likely the wiring is wrong.
Peter
VFD wiring has not been changed since got VFD hooked to motor, expect of wrong direction, swapped over so as 3 phase it's resolved ... getting nice heathy 12 volts from transformer side of wiring...with plus, and negative correct..

So it's case gotta buy new unit...and check wiring diagram before installing

Cheers of the advice

Pete

[6]
[5] [7]