VFD advice

Pete262

Registered
Registered
Hiya machist world....fitting VFD to my old mini mill, plus want to add spindle rpm montior,.... montior needs 12 volt surply,..simple transformer, me thinks,...
Should I use separate mains spur ? Think heard someone say VFD should have separate mains supply....

Can if needed run new cable from mains panel.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Pete

Your VFD can be connected to your electrical supply anywhere (it does not need a separate run from your breaker) if there is appropriate circuit protection. This can either be accomplished by adding a new breaker in your distribution box, or by adding a supplemental breaker next to the drive. It should be sized at 125% of the motor Full Load Amps (FLA).

As far as the monitor supply, you need to check if it is 12V AC or DC. If it is AC, then a transformer is acceptable, if it is DC then you will need a power supply. Small 12V supplies can be had cheaply from Automation Direct.

Mike

"macardoso, cheers, motor and VFD bought as package, from local company after breaking to organial motor to my milling machine,...so that setup is working good,

Just wanting to be able to monitor the spindle l speed, to comprove tool life, and better compent making

On trying the rpm meter gauge, not reading zero with spindle then "pop" then nothing on readout...so it's broke! Replacement not to expensive but if it's not wired right.... could be just wasting time, money...so that's want trying to sort out

On trying the rpm meter gauge, not reading zero with spindle then "pop" then nothing on readout...so it's broke! Replacement not to expensive but if it's not wired right.... could be just wasting time, money...so that's want trying to sort out

If you post the make and model, we can look at your wiring setup. Maybe it was a random failure, but more likely the wiring is wrong.

If you post the make and model, we can look at your wiring setup. Maybe it was a random failure, but more likely the wiring is wrong.
Peter
VFD wiring has not been changed since got VFD hooked to motor, expect of wrong direction, swapped over so as 3 phase it's resolved ... getting nice heathy 12 volts from transformer side of wiring...with plus, and negative correct..

So it's case gotta buy new unit...and check wiring diagram before installing

Cheers of the advice

Pete

Back