• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Vfd and motor change

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rimfire1903

Registered
Registered
need help, i would like to have a vfd on my clausing 8520 mill in very good condition, (but) it has a 3/4hp dc. with belt drive with pulley set up, i am a gunsmith and need to cut dovetails in slides and barrels, and run in a slow speed around 6-700 rpms,, herd i need a 3ph induction motor and a vfd, i dont have 3 ph. home shop 110/220
so what do i have to do to achieve this i wouldn't mind a 1 hp or even the 3/4hp is ok with me, can you explain exactly what i need to do including motor type and hp,vfd type for the motor i need,, wright i am running 110, i would like to avoid changing belts but if the cost is out of my ball park, i would like to modernize the older we get the lazier we get,,,, i get,,, please be specific thank you for your time

TonyRV2

Registered
Registered
You don't need 3 phase power in the shop. Part of the job of the VFD is to take your single phase power and convert it to 3 phase. You can run a 1hp 3 phase motor using your 110V shop power. You just plug your VFD into a 20A outlet and wire the VFD's 3 phase output to your 3 phase motor. Its that simple. You didn't mention what kind of VFD you were looking at, but I strongly recommend the KB Electronics KBAC-27D model. These are pricey, but come in a nema 4X/IP65 enclosure which is watertight with watertight knob and switches as well. This controller will drive up to a 1.5hp motor on a 110 volt line, and up to a 2hp motor if you wire it to a 220V line. Alternatively, you can go with a much less expensive Chinese import and build your own enclosure for it. There are plenty of folks that have done that with apparently decent results.

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
You might want to try and find a 900 or 1200 RPM 3 Phase motor if you are planning to run that slow most of the time. The problem with running the typical 1800 RPM motor that slow with a VFD is cooling. Another option may be to add an external fan. If your mill uses a 56 frame motor, finding a slower motor may be challenging.

rimfire1903

Registered
Registered
thank you both for all the help, i don't run slow most of the time just for dovetails thank you for your help, have a great day, does the motor have to be induction motor? or ac

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
You say you currently have a dc motor? With speed control or without? Or did you mean ac motor?
Mark

rimfire1903

Registered
Registered
dc motor, via belt and pulleys for speed control, not ac motor, dc motor thank

pacifica

RGL
You can get a open frame dc drive from automation direct for 136, need an enclosure and potentiometer, good for up to 1 hp at 90vdc.Probably even cheaper deals around.
Keep your present motor.Potential for dynamic braking, forward reverse , etc.
Others can tell you about the torque curve, ease of use and installation.

strantor

Active User
Registered
Post details of your existing DC motor. DC motor is variable speed, if you vary the voltage to it. Not sure why your machine would come with a DC motor and fixed DC voltage. DC was the old way to get variable speed, before the proliferation of cheap VFDs. DC is still a good way to go, and if you have a DC motor already then it probably makes more sense to get a cheap DC drive for it and leave the motor alone.

I'm half-ass suspecting you actually already have a DC drive buried in there somewhere, even if there's no exterior speed control knob, as I can't come up with a reason they would use a DC motor for fixed speed.

rimfire1903

Registered
Registered
This is a causing 8520 3/4 hp all there is a on and off switch. Only way to change speed is by changing v belt on several step pulleys.

strantor

Active User
Registered
So is that a hard "no" on the picture then?

rimfire1903

Registered
Registered
The name plate is covered by motor mount but it is a GE 3/4hp 1750 110 CW and CCW

markba633csi

You must have an ac motor there if you are just plugging it in- a dc motor would require, at the minimum, a bridge rectifier between the wall power and the motor, probably mounted in a little box somewhere on or near the forward/reverse switch (if there is one)
Mark

rimfire1903

Registered
Registered
No box. Just plug in and turn on
It does have a foreword and reverse and neutral barrel switch on the mill. Reverse dont work. The motor is not original thank you. What do I need to do

strantor

Active User
Registered
You must have an ac motor there if you are just plugging it in- a dc motor would require, at the minimum, a bridge rectifier between the wall power and the motor, probably mounted in a little box somewhere on or near the forward/reverse switch (if there is one)
Mark
Agreed. However a rectifier could be fitted inside the reversing barrel switch. That would be weird, but possible.

Seems to me more likely an A.C. motor. Without pictures to confirm it's DC, I will have to withdraw my (much cheaper and easier) suggestion of installing a DC drive.

So, you will need to go out and buy a 1hp 3ph motor, 1800rpm 230v, and a VFD 1hp 230V, rated for single phase input. For the motor I would check surpluscenter.com and for the drive, teco or automationdirect.com

rimfire1903

Registered
Registered
Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it thank you all . I will give a update soon I hope

Briney Eye

I did a video overview of the DRO installation on my 8520 but I also show the Fuji VFD that I installed. I set the VFD to vary the motor speed from 900 to 1800rpm, and it has plenty of low-speed torque, but I can always rearrange the belts if I want to go really slow (or fast). I added an external braking resistor so that the VFD can stop the spindle quickly and left it hanging in the video, but I cleaned everything up since then.

rimfire1903

Registered
Registered
Thanks I will look at that. I liked the dro set up a lot that's next. Thank you

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
It sounds like you need to use the back gearing to slow down the spindle speed. I don't think any sort of motor will reliablly operate at that slow a speed. Just a thought there. You might also consider my post of just a few minutes ago. On that very subject.
Bill Hudson​

rimfire1903

Registered
Registered
It sounds like you need to use the back gearing to slow down the spindle speed. I don't think any sort of motor will reliablly operate at that slow a speed. Just a thought there. You might also consider my post of just a few minutes ago. On that very subject.
Bill Hudson​
Yes sir. I dropped pulley size from 4in to a 1 3/4 carbide dovetail cutter's stated under 700 rpms small. 260 to. 500 thank you Mike

rimfire1903

Registered
Registered
up date, here is what i did, i found a treadmill they were giving away, the motor was a 2.25hp, i have seen many videos so, i ordered a 8000w s.c.r. with a pot installed, and a bridge rectifier, china of course, (good/bad) butt hooked it up and blew a fuse 10 amp, short fuse in the scr. tried a new fuse ran the mill in different speeds turned the mill off and then back on blew another fuse,??????, i'm stubborn and tried another and up and running again, i could adjust the speed no problem, this time i turned off the mill and turned the scr to the off position, powered up the mill then turned the scr on to ramp up speed needed and works like a charm i don't know for how long this will work, it will give me time to save and get a 3ph motor and a teco vfd, thank you every one for the help

[6]
[5] [7]