VFD Enclosure - Ammo Can.

MikeInOr

Registered
Registered
I am having a heck of a time finding a reasonably priced enclosure for my new Hitachi WJ200 VFD to mount it on my lathe. The problem is the WJ200 is 6.7" deep so none of the reasonably priced 6" deep NEMA enclosures are deep enough. All the 7" or 8" deep enclosures cost more than the VFD!

I am really tempted to say the heck with it (Home shop, just me working in it) and use an ammo can as an enclosure. I don't expect any visits from OSHA! A 20mm ammo can will easily meet the VFD's listed space requirements.

I am usually pretty good at finding acceptable used electrical items on ebay and google... my ebay-fu and google-fu seem to be broken.

My alternative is to buy a 6" deep enclosure and mill the cover so the face of the VFD can stick out. I would prefer the VFD to be completely covered.

Wiegmann hfws 10350861

We use Saginaw enclosures at work. They are very nicely built and relatively inexpensive. I have seen them cheaper than new on ebay, too. Saginaw Control & Engineering 12 x 24 x 8

edited to add that they do not include the subpanel. Tack on an extra 30 bucks for this particular panel.

The cheapest on the wiegmann I could find is $260. Do you know some where to get it cheaper?

So far this is the best deal I can find:

Yuco IP66 Enclosure with Gland Plate, UL Certified, Nema 4, 16 Gauge, Single Door Hinge Cover, Wall-Mount, Galvanized Backplate (12 x 10 x 8)

Price:$93.56 & FREE Shipping

• Gland Plate at Bottom of Enclosure (Screw Plate)
  • 2mm Galvanized Backplate
  • Height: 12 inches (300mm)
  • Width: 10 inches (250mm)
  • Depth: 8 inches (200mm)

According to the Hitachi manual it meets the spacing and volume requirements. I am still looking though.

I was looking for the same style can for my CNC controller and VFD and the only place I could find one big enough was Granger, but they wanted $250+ for a sheet metal box with a lid. IDK about you but that is crazy expensive. I have tons of free stainless laying around so I folded one up real fast and tig welded the corners

Last edited:
Finally settled on this one from ebay:

Enclosr,Metallc,14In.H x 12In.W x 8In.D WIEGMANN N1C121408

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Enclosr-Me...h1paCeAE:sc:ShippingMethodExpress!97756!US!-1

for $78.32 I think it will be perfect, it should mount on my lathe without being in the way too much.

I appreciate all the suggestions! ...I might have bought the Cooper 16166 if I hadn't already clicked the buy button! I am a little humiliated being out ebay searched though. o_O

P.S. I was really tempted to go the Ammo can route!!!! With ventilation holes.

Last edited:
I almost feel that it would be required for the vent holes to have been made with bird shot if you went that route.
Oh, THAT is funny! Liked that alot! Are you sure, though, that Bird Shot will give the correct amount of ventilation? The requirements my GS2 from Automation Direct gave, I would think at least "2" shot steel, or perhaps "00" Buck would be needed:eek 2:

Back