VFD for 10L South Bend

Capt. Jas.

Registered
Registered
I have read multiple posts on the advantages of using a VFD to run a 3ph motor off of 110. What I dont understand is does that allow the use of current on off and reverse buttons on the machine or does the operation under VFD take place on that unit?

1. Will I be able to use the on/off/reverse control switch I have pictured?
2. What is a recommended VFD unit for the 1 HP motor in have pictured?

Thanks in advance for assistance.

20190622_102605.jpg20190401_102220.jpg20190401_102215.jpg

The wiring needs to be rearranged- no switches between the VFD and motor, and the pushbutton box would connect to the VFD to control it
Mark

U want at least a 1hp vfd can always oversize for future uses. Then check amperage on motor and make sure the vfd has a higher rating.
The vfd has two sections of wires going to it. You have the 110 to 3 phase side let’s call that the power side. Then their is the control side. That’s where you would wire the on/off switches for/rev. You should be able to use your existing switches.

The wiring needs to be rearranged- no switches between the VFD and motor, and the pushbutton box would connect to the VFD to control it
Mark

That is how mine is wired with the same switch as yours on my heavy 10. The VFD then has to be programmed.

I have a Teco 2hp unit that's pretty nice.

Since you want to run the motor off 110V you are limited to a 1hp drive but that should be fine. If you had 220V available for input you would have more options.

It looks like the motor draws 3.8 amps so you need a VFD that will supply at least that much, more is fine.

You want a drive that is "sensorless vector". You should be able to use your existing switch with any VFD but as others have said it will be wired to the low voltage control inputs of the VFD not between the VFD and the motor.

I believe either one of the two listed below will work. The Hitachi is rated at 5 amps, the Teco 4.3 amps. The Hitachi is typically a bit more expensive but is generally considered better. (I currently have 5 VFD's, 4 are Teco, all different models and one is a Huanyang which I would not recommend.) I would also recommend avoiding the Teco FM50 since they are not "sensorless vector". There are probably cheaper options on eBay.

Hitachi WJ200-007MF https://www.wolfautomation.com/ac-drive-1hp-120-v-single-phase/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI69uWoO394gIVw1YNCh28XgYFEAQYASABEgKBBPD_BwE

Teco L510-101-H1-U https://www.factorymation.com/L510-101-H1-U

Please double check specs before ordering, you may want to shop around a bit, it may be less expensive elsewhere.

Don't forget my advice is worth every penny you paid for it! :)

This is what I have on the back of my lathe.
I dont know how and if this affects the wiring for the existing switches. I am also open to running a 220 line instead of going thru 110 if that will be a better alternative.

Attachments

• 20190830_121212.jpg
    20190830_121212.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190830_121158.jpg
    20190830_121158.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 12
220 would be a better power option. Most of the stuff in the box you show would be removed. You only need a on/off switch , for/rev switch and I install a emergency off mushroom button also. You’ll need a fuse and block for vfd power supply along with some shielded wire like 18-20ga for your switches. That’s about it unless you want a elaborate system.

Back