VFD for 2x72 Belt Grinder

What brand of VFD are you using? Due to space limitations I cannot remote mount anything so the VFD and controls need to sit in front of the motor.

Mine are the ebay el cheapo units. About $70. If you need the VFD right by the motor, I don't recommend them on a grinder unless you put them in an enclosure. I put mine in a cabinet and use a little control box next to the motor. They will get grinding dust in them and blow. I have about 10ft of cord which gets the job done for me.

As a knife maker, I also own a 272 grinder...an Esteem with a KB VFD. Very easy to use and sealed like others have said. But what I wanted to talk about is dust and let you know what I did, not because of the VFD but I just hate a dusty messy work environment. First, I just mounted a heat vent, just like you have in your floors with forced air heating/cooling, on my bench right underneath the belt with some round heat duct bring it down to a bucket in which I leave a few inches of water to catch the hotter bits. A lot of folks do this if you check out some youtube videos on setting these things up. Secondly, I have one of those 3 magnet parts trays which I set on top of the bench right next to the grinding belt. This tray catches 90% of the dust that swirls past the ductwork. Between the two, I get very little dust in my shop from the grinder.

Back